NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm gonna say no it's not safe if you haven't navigated it before. I've been out that inlet many many times and have seen breakers all the way across it on several occasions. It's very easy to run aground out there. I have seen boats turn over out there on numerous occasions. Even on days where it wasn't so big.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I would say no way. I've been out with my 19' bay boat and was tough, at least on the days I went out. It may get calm enough to get out in a smaller boat, but what I've seen, I wouldn't try it. Easier to be safe and chase inshore fish.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I remember that day..........i couldnt see the top of your boat lol................it laid down nice later tho.

I would say no way. I've been out with my 19' bay boat and was tough, at least on the days I went out. It may get calm enough to get out in a smaller boat, but what I've seen, I wouldn't try it. Easier to be safe and chase inshore fish.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Ive seen john boats and jet skis out there but wouldnt recommend it. Very doeable on a good day but you must know how to read the water or you could get in trouble. The closest AR342 is 3 miles from the inlet and I wouldnt recomend it in your boat.

Hey guys,I have a 16.5 alum cc w/50 hp Yamaha.Is bogue safe to get out of and is there any reefs or wrecks within my reach.Ready to get outside and maybe learn to troll.Thanks for any information

Reactions: ecufisherman

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
would be safer going out bear inlet than bogue ;)

·
Registered
997 Posts
That size boat and Bogue Inlet is a NO, NO unless it is slick calm. There are two times anything less than a 24' boat is not safe in Bogue inlet and they are an outgoing tide and the wind out of the South West that inlet can get really, really rough in those conditions. Combine those two conditions and noting is safe in that inlet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thx Bear would be fine but last time I tried to fiah bear you could not hardly get through.Im just looking something different but want to be safe also.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I think your best bet would be to go out of Barden's Inlet at the Cape on a very calm day. Especially in the summer its a pretty smooth ride. Beaufort inlet can get stacked up especially with a Southwest wind and out going tide not to mention large sport fishers coming and going. I know you were asking about Bogue, but putting in at Harker's Island or Taylor's Creek and running down the backside of Shackleford out through Barden's is very doable and may be a better bet.

·
Registered
571 Posts
What is the best inlet between Beaufort and Wilmington?

I am going to be using a 218 DLV

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Several decent inlets like New River, New Topsail Inlet, Masonboro Inlet are good most of the time. Carolina Beach Inlet is usually doable. Beaufort is the biggest and deepest because of the ships that come and go thru the inlet, better marked also.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I remember that day..........i couldnt see the top of your boat lol................it laid down nice later tho.
I almost lost sight of Jimbeams 26 foot boat with a T top....only the top of the T was showing. Sundrop and myself figured we best turn around and find calmer waters for the day...and live to fish another day. You came by us and hit a wave and went way up above us.

·
Registered
505 Posts
No way I'd go in the ocean in an aluminum jon boat, whether or not I could get out of the inlet. One wrong move or just an unlucky wave over the bow and you're on the bottom of the ocean. I know people do it, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. I would feel much safer in my 14 foot sit-on-top kayak.

To the OP, just don't do it! We don't want to read about you in the paper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts