NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had some plans to fish at Tuckertown this weekend, but they fell through, so Bill and I decided to hit a river. A lot of the local flows were looking rough, so we decided to find a new spot. Many of the rivers south and west of the Triangle looked like they were in good shape, which was a nice surprise. We eventually decided to hit a spot on the Deep River. I really hadn't fished the Deep before other than a very short morning about 40 miles from where we launched on Sunday - gosh that is a long river.

We arrived to find it clearer than we expected and launched for a paddle up-float back trip. The bite started off pretty well with a few 12"-15" fish. Then we had a fairly long, slow stretch where the bites were few and far between. But we used that as a learning curve, changed up our gameplan, and started hammering them. We threw a lot of medium diving cranks through the center of the channel as well as jigs and creature baits that looked like bream, which were working around wood cover and in the channel. We started catching 10+ bass per hole. In one spot, we probably caught close to 20 without moving. Spot after spot it was the same result. By the time we made it back to the truck, we had caught 152 largemouths and 11 "other fish", which included some big bream, a yellow perch, a white bass, and a few very short bass. The 2-3 biggest fish we hooked manage to come unbuttoned, but we did land a couple 4 lbers as well as plenty of 3 lbers. 70% of fish came on the baits mentioned above with the remaining bass coming on buzzbait, weightless stick worm, and topwaters. We filmed most of it and are putting together some video now. You can read the full write-up of the day on my blog - http://www.manpoweredfishing.com/2013/08/one-insane-day-of-river-bassin-on-deep.html.

Tight lines!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Awesome! The Deep River is a challenge to me currently, I have several miles of it within reasonable distance but until have a 'yak I miss alot of the better fishing on it. Congratulations on an EPIC float!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.