NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I fished in the Fisherman's Post "Inshore Spring Challenge" fishing tournament. They have two categories, Flounder and Speckled Trout. There where about 125 entries for this one day event.

My crew and I finished 16th, good enough to finish on the leader board and in the money! We caught 6 flounder besides the one we weighed in but no trout. It was a tough fishing day, the wind was bad all day and it rained all morning and was cold. The weather turned better in the afternoon but was still very windy.

The winning flounder was 6.02 pounds but the second place fish was well under 4 pounds and I think only one other flounder weighed in at over 3 pounds. Much lighter fish than in the past two annual tourneys. The big flounder still haven't moved inshore yet at least not in respectable numbers yet.

All that said and done, we had a blast fishing and enjoyed the dinner and awards ceremony afterwards.

Fish On!

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Congratulations Mike! BTW I'm working on a fall NCangler.com fishing tournament out of Morehead City. I've got another one we're cosponsoring in July for Triumph Boat Owners but as soon as that one is over we'll be planning and announcing the fall tournament. Probably for speckled trout and flounder as well. It would be great to get a hundred or more NC anglers on the water together! Stay tuned! ;)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Can I wear my custom decorated hat??-- and bring the Good Wife to make sure I catch some fish??:D

Later, Forrest

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Cool Mike! I'll get dates and information together as soon as I can get it all together. Forrest, we'd love to see the hat and the wife in person! :D Maybe we can start a tradition where we all rub Forrest's hat before going out to fish. ;)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or maybe we can talk him into making a replica of the hat. Then instead of a trophy, you can award the winner the replica "Fish - surrender and get in the boat" Hat. They could keep it until the next tourney.....................

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot to include this little bit of info in the original post:

Had 2 crew members on board, both were fishing live bait. I was covering their rear with Gulp! and pulling some Xraps when we were moving from spot to spot (Xraps were for trout).

Here's the break down of the 7 flounder we caught:
Live Finger Mullet/Pogies: 2
Gulp!: 4
Xrap: 1 (first for me - a flounder on a trolled hardbait)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Here's the break down of the 7 flounder we caught:
Live Finger Mullet/Pogies: 2
Gulp!: 4
Xrap: 1 (first for me - a flounder on a trolled hardbait)
Ok Mike.....Gulp! outfished live minna's 2:1?! I need independent verification ;).

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ParrotHead said:
Ok Mike.....Gulp! outfished live minna's 2:1?! I need independent verification ;).
Well there are the two fella's on my boat that were fishing live minnows that can verify the claim. I uderstand they went down to Tex's today. I'll have them call you as soon as they get back from selling those minnow buckets and buying bags of Gulp! :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.