NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all -
We're heading down to Emerald Isle the first week of April and am wondering if I should make the effort to take the kayak. Will there be any fish inshore this time of year?

I don't mind paddling around and getting skunked (happens all the time) but if I go to the trouble, I would like to have a chance of catching something.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
First we got to work on your negative, defeatists, pessimistic attitude about "getting skunked all the time".
You have already benched yourself, given up before launching, taken all the anticipated joy out of going fishing,
With that frame of mind, how will you ever justify spending some of your stimulus money on the perfect new rod / reel guaranteed to put fish in the boat or that perfect Columbia designer sweat wicking fishing shirt you've been eyeing or that the fish catching magic lure you saw on You Tube?
NOW STOP QUESTIONING YOUR ABILITY.
GET OUT THERE AND CATCH SOMETHING, ANYTHING, JUST GO & TRY!!!

Sorry I'm not much of a motivational speaker...... ICM

Heard some people are catching Reds & Trout on topwaters. I'll be going in the morning.

Reactions: Cam

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Seems like I always catch small puppy drum inshore that time of year...can be fun if you find numbers. Fish on the falling tide.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
There's puppy drum and a few trout in Bogue Sound. They're getting some sea mullet, small blues and puffers on the beach and at Bogue Inlet Pier already. Water temps are in high 50's and should be in low 60's in early April. Give 'er a go.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have seen a lot about reds being schooled up in the marshes. You would probably do well down around Cow Channel or any of the marsh across from the Cedar Point ramp. Lots of good fishing down there. Just will have to search.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok - having been properly chastised, I vow to forgo my slothfulness, load up the kayak, pack my rods and plan on a week of exploring the marshes and creeks. (April 1- April 7)

Looking at the satellite map, the kayak launch off of Coastguard Road seems to be gone, again. True?

I know there are several other options, Willis Landing, Shell Rock, Hammocks Beach and Cedar Point are ones I've used in the past, but I've always liked that area.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
860 Posts
The kayak launch off Coastguard Rd in Emerald Woods has been rebuilt. However, it is rather steep from the walkway down to the launch. But it does put you right there in the marsh. Those other options you mentioned are all good as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts