NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now that I will have a good kayak to get out in the water with (2015 OK BG2) I always wanted to try fly fishing. seems like something ill enjoy and another art form of fishing I would like to get good at. The things ive read about was that an 8wt rod will do well for inshore species if I was to limit myself to one rod, still looking for a rod height and number of piece rod to get. no clue what kind of reel to get except it needs to be able to hold in salt water. as far as line goes, im not sure if what kind of backing to use and if normal 15lb fluro leader will work. I plan to get 7-8wt floating line (tip forward I think it was?). I also have no idea what kind of flys to get and where to get them.

does anyone get em from fly rods often from a kayak? any tips or tackle suggestions? casting techniques?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm sure you'll like fly fishing. Nothing like a red on the fly, or blue, or spec., or spanish, and albecore. Anyway, you see where i'm going. Expensive equipment is not necessary. A good blue collar rod and reel will work fine, with an 8 wt. 8' being enough most of the time. Flies can be anything as long as it's a clouser. Shrimp and crabs will work too, but keep plenty of clousers in a variety of colors as your go to fly. You'll find throwing from a seated position a little difficult, so practice in the yard. Clear most of the traditional stuff off the yak that will catch line. Everything will catch line. Most of your casts will be short. The wind, grass and other things will hinder the backcast. Learn a good roll cast. As far as line and such give Richard a call at Carolina Mt. Sports in Statesville. Knows his stuff (sell you something too if you want it, but won't push anything). Number is: 704-871-1444. enjoy, don

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure you'll like fly fishing. Nothing like a red on the fly, or blue, or spec., or spanish, and albecore. Anyway, you see where i'm going. Expensive equipment is not necessary. A good blue collar rod and reel will work fine, with an 8 wt. 8' being enough most of the time. Flies can be anything as long as it's a clouser. Shrimp and crabs will work too, but keep plenty of clousers in a variety of colors as your go to fly. You'll find throwing from a seated position a little difficult, so practice in the yard. Clear most of the traditional stuff off the yak that will catch line. Everything will catch line. Most of your casts will be short. The wind, grass and other things will hinder the backcast. Learn a good roll cast. As far as line and such give Richard a call at Carolina Mt. Sports in Statesville. Knows his stuff (sell you something too if you want it, but won't push anything). Number is: 704-871-1444. enjoy, don
appreciate the info! are the clouser flies weighted at all?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, they are weighted. you can add barbell eyes at different weights and very easy to tie. You can use bucktails or synthetic hair and add all sort of flash. You can also have different lengths. Make them long and then cut to length when you see what their feeding on. Clousers work good on spinners too. Adding one to the end of an inline spinner is also effective for trout and redfish...go to youtube and learn to tie one.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Take a look at reviews on the Lamsom Konic. It has a sealed drag, and has very good reviews. However, there are others who have a lot more experience than I on fly gear. The Konic is the bottom of the line reel for that series of reels. I have 3 of them, and have not issues with them as of now, but I have only used them a little in the salt.
Like others have said, the Clouser seems to be THE fly for inshore salt water species, but I have had good luck with Lefty's Deceiver. Go to youtube and look for Bob Clouser's trying instructions, and I ran across another of his videos where he explained why it works so well. You may want to check that out.
I mostly fish out of my old aluminum boat because of arthritis issues, but may still be able to fish from my kayak. I have fly fished with a friend on that 14 foot boat, but it was a bit challenging.

Wish you had told me yesterday at the Kinston Red X Angler M&G how much you were interested in this. I would have shared a couple of flies with you. I have fly fished out of my Kayak, and was surprised at how much easier it was than I had expected it would be. Other than keeping nothing standing up behind you, and keeping the amount of equipment as low as you can, the only other thing that comes to mind is where to put your line. Some just let the line go out in the water and get along great doing that. If you're using a rudder that can be challenging. You may have enough room in the bottom of your Kayak to let it go there. Haven't tried it, but was wondering is a shallow plastic pan would work.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take a look at reviews on the Lamsom Konic. It has a sealed drag, and has very good reviews. However, there are others who have a lot more experience than I on fly gear. The Konic is the bottom of the line reel for that series of reels. I have 3 of them, and have not issues with them as of now, but I have only used them a little in the salt.
Like others have said, the Clouser seems to be THE fly for inshore salt water species, but I have had good luck with Lefty's Deceiver. Go to youtube and look for Bob Clouser's trying instructions, and I ran across another of his videos where he explained why it works so well. You may want to check that out.
I mostly fish out of my old aluminum boat because of arthritis issues, but may still be able to fish from my kayak. I have fly fished with a friend on that 14 foot boat, but it was a bit challenging.

Wish you had told me yesterday at the Kinston Red X Angler M&G how much you were interested in this. I would have shared a couple of flies with you. I have fly fished out of my Kayak, and was surprised at how much easier it was than I had expected it would be. Other than keeping nothing standing up behind you, and keeping the amount of equipment as low as you can, the only other thing that comes to mind is where to put your line. Some just let the line go out in the water and get along great doing that. If you're using a rudder that can be challenging. You may have enough room in the bottom of your Kayak to let it go there. Haven't tried it, but was wondering is a shallow plastic pan would work.
im in Virginia right now, marine related. I have a OK big game 2 waiting for me to pick up when I get back. I was looking into the orvis access mid arbor reels and the orvis clear water rod. and rio line from backing to tippet. stayed up past midnight doing research!
im considering taking a guide out but I don't want that trip to take funds out of my fly setup. I may need to just teach myself out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.