NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out New River on Sunday 5 June no luck. Tryed trolling for Kings and Spanish around Divers rock, then moved to AR350, still no hits. Made a few drifts a few small BSB, pinfish, a Sailers Choise, and 2 sharks. I heard on the radio that there were some Kings and Spanish being caught about 4 mi outside of Browns inlet but I had to get my friend back in to take care of his honey do list.

I'm going back out this weekend, weather permitting (I only have a 16 footer)
and hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures and a happer report.

If your in the area give me a call on 16. My boat is the R-N-R

·
Registered
791 Posts
Dudd,

Last year the spanish were thick inside teh channel leading to the New river inlet from court house bay.. they were jumpingand rolling like crazy... have you seen any in there yet?

rye

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hasn't been anything to speek of. The bait is not around like it should be this time of year. now that the weather is worming up, things should start picking up. The water temp is slowly coming up also this will help. The water should be in the mid 70s this time of year but is just now in the low 70s.

I am planing on going out Sun, I'll try to post another report and hopefullysome pictures. But don't base the fishing quality on my reports. I'm having to learn the area all over again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Guys and Gals

Guess what!
I can still catch fish!
I took today off for a long weekend and was checking the weather forecast. Looked good so I headed out about 8 AM.
I started at the 33 ledge and had a couple of strikes but nothing too promising.
Desided to go to the Box Cars, about 11 miles off the New River Bell Bouy. Several boats were there but I didn't see anybody hooking up.
The area was covered with algea and seaweed, it was perfect!
55 ft of water so I set out 2 rigs with small planers and let them back about 150ft so they could get down. BANG!! less than 5 min and hooked up. Darn-it! it was a Shark. Set back and it was on. I landed 3 in about an 1 1/2 hours and lost 8. I was by myself and I was about wore out from all the reeling. I had to let one go, a shark had bit the tail off so I wasn't able to measure it.
Went through 2 packs of Bali-hoo and was time to go.
It was a GREAT DAY and the first real catch on my new 16cc.
I hope tomarrow is as good!
HAPPY 4TH and GOOD FISHING
Dudd :)

PS I'll add a couple of pictures as soon as I learn how.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7/12/05

Hey ALL!

I had another good day out of New River.
NOAA reports for the weekend were not good so I hadn't planned to go out. I checked again Sat afternoon and all was looking good. Hit the boat ramp at 06:00 and waited for a friend that was going to meet me. Guess what! he didn't show.
At 7:00 I headed out to the 29 Ledge only one other boat when I got there. Not much was shaken so I turned the nose to the east and headed for Christmas Rock. I had not been there so I had to look around a few minutes and mark out part of the ledge. set out some lines, and it was on. Boated 2 nice Kings and 2 Dolphin. Had 9 Kings to the boat and was unable to get them in. It's really hard to hold the line and get the gaff at the same time. When I would wrap the line tight on my hand and the fish makes a hard run it would pull off.
I will master the art of landing Kings alone, but it may take some time.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey All!

Went out Sat. Man was it rough!
Burnt 1/4 tank going to the D bouy. It acked like it was goint to let up a little about 9 or so. I moved up to Christmas Rock. Picked up one small King about half way.
A boat was capsized and Coast Guard was on site.
I moved on to the 29 ledge and made 3 passes with no luck. I was down below 1/2 tank and to era on the side of safety I put her to thr hill.
I hope the fish move back in before this weekend. I hate burning fuel for nothing.
Did anybody hit the big ones this weekend? Where??

·
Registered
121 Posts
I Heard About That Boat Dudd. I Wasn't Far From Christmas But I Didn't Hear About It Until Tonight. I Think I Saw You Come By Me On Your Boat. I Was On My Neighbors Boat This Weekend. Mine Is In The Shop Having Some Welding Done To The T-top. I Yelled For You But I Found Out That One Of His Radios Has Troubles. Swithced Over To The Other When No One Returned Any Of My Calls. If The Hurricane Doesn't Get Us This Weekend, I'll Be Back Down. Shrimp Festival Is This Weekend Too!!!yum!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.