NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for those night fishin tips! I think hamstead mentioned drum at night. Is there any different techniques after the sun goes down or do the day-time tricks work then too?

Thanks,
PH :confused:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Bug spray can be a lifesaver at times so put that on your checklist. This time of year drum and bluefish are good bets in the surf near the inlets and in the inlets. Use fresh cutbait or fresh shrimp. Rigs are determined by how many rods you want to put out. For just one rod and fairly calm conditions with mild currents it is hard to beat a carolina rig with a 30 lb leader about 18" long and 2/0 circle hook. When a fish hits just keep the line tight and don't jerk or you will lose the fish if the hook hasn't already set itself. circle hooks have been around a long time. They started to catch on here after American longline fishermen discovered their effeciency. The hook will lodge in the corner of a fishes mouth and set itself. For more rods a fishfinder rig with a 3 sided sinker is the standard. One particular no-no is bright lights or shining a light across the water. AL

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips...I always keep a spray bottle of the highest concentrated "Deet" I can find in the tackle box, but I'll make sure it's not empty. I hadn't even thought of that.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Spots and whiting should be picking up soon but I think everything will be later this year as the water temps in th Atlantic are abnormally warm. Normally the fishing would be wide open right now but this year has been a year of warm water and the hurricanes certainly have had a negative effect on fishing. Normally I count on mid Sept to be the big kick-off but it is looking like late Sept. or early Oct. before things are prime. Who knows we might get a break on the heating requirements this winter. That would certainly help offset high fuel prices. Right now everybody could use a break. AL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.