NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to plan my first King fishing adventure this spring....May/June.
When does the water temp favor king fishing:confused:. I really want to catch something other than dog fish. I recently watched the king caught from a Kayak video... That was awsome.... My son fishes from a Kayak off Cherry Grove in SC. We both are looking forward to that type of experience:eek:
What is the current range of water temps through April & May:confused: off the piers??

Everytime I post something I learn somthing new...Just want to say thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
I try and keep a log book of pier fishing these are the temps and dates of first kings strikes or landed in Carolina Beach area from my notes.

Date Ocean Temp
April 18 2002 69(my first king that year and the 1st on the pier)
April 28 2003 68
May 18 2004 70
May 16 2005 70
May 22 2006 69
May 5 2007 67

I hope this helps, as you can see I think the ocean temp is very important. Also this is about the same time the spanish mackrel start too.

·
Registered
614 Posts
No not at Cherry Grove pier I have caught kings off Apache Pier, Springmaid Pier, 2nd Ave Pier, Myrtle Beach State Park Pier and Springmaid Pier. I just never made it that far north because I used to live in southern Myrtle Beach and fished what I was closest to. I did not start logging my trips till 2001 but I can tell you that the kings usually get to the MB area at the same time or a week earlier as the Cape Fear region.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Im looking a site where I can keep up with water temps is there such a site?.....I have used the National data bouys site but didnt know if there was somethig else out there to use.....

"Pier Witch"

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Im looking a site where I can keep up with water temps is there such a site?.....I have used the National data bouys site but didnt know if there was somethig else out there to use.....

"Pier Witch"

Try this site

On the main page, click the circle for SST and that will show you the surface sea temps. Click anywhere in the box covering Topsail and you get a zoomed in view, then click on any of the yellow dots for the detailed weather info from those weather stations/buoys.

·
Registered
92 Posts
about what I have been using...I like this format a bit better....but is there anything that exists that is a little more local/coastal that we/me can check for water temps?

Im always getting questions about water temps....short of sticking something up out there on the end of the pier....which I know we probably need and others could benifit from I was looking for whats that word ......oh yeah the lazy "girls" way .....didnt know if there were other places to check.....

thanks for that link...

"Pier Witch"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.