NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for what others use as "tells". What I'm referring to are signs in, on and/or around the water that make you feel fish are present.
Here are some obvious:
Birds working the water
Visibly seeing fish slash through bait
Tailing (applies to drum but maybe others?)
"Nervous" bail-out just bait that's easily spooked or flip for no predator related reason such as menhaden.
Bow wakes etc
Here are a couple of others I've come to learn about:
Slick spots on the surface (doesn't apply to glassy water). This is where a fish disturbed the water without actually breaking the surface. It's how I got my very first top water drum.
A change in the current pattern perhaps from a subsurface oyster bar, converging current flows, drop offs, rises etc. Anything that makes the look of the surface change. These are said to be good areas because bait fish get tumbled around or changes in depth hold predator fish.
I'd like to know more and reasons. For example I've heard the term "mudding" as it relates to drum but I've never seen streaks of muddy water that led me to fish.
Smell? Some people say they can smell when Trout are around and feeding?
Boils-what is the definitive differences between mullet boils and drum? Personally I feel I can finally tell when to not waste time casting at mullet boils even when the mullet are 20"
How about some of your secrets? It can't hurt to share them here as there is no geographical information exchange.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Normally water is a good sign :D All the rest is just assumptions....

Just joking....for me, and what little I know, moving water means moving bait. So bait can mean target fish.

Oyster beds produced for me when I had no clue what a drum was....s oysters are a good sign to!

But again, I'm no master like some here.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
The appearance of the water is my number one. In that I'm looking at movement, color, and clarity. Does the water look like anything is lurking below, or does it look dead? Baitfish, are the present and if so, how are they acting? If predators are there, baitfish aren't going to be swimming around leisurely. Smell isn't something I look for but I can definitely smell fish feeding and it has turned me on to a lot of fish in the past. Especially old drum on menhaden.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I watch for bait moving erratically. I love low tide where I fish. Less real estate and watch for the wakes like drum leave. Down south the water is muddy or stained so bad I rarely can see one foot. Therefore I use the tides to find places that look good. Transition areas in depth and bottom. Holes and where flounder lay in the mud. Had an older fellow fish with me years back and he pointed out lots of indentions in the muddy bottoms where flounder had kinda dug in. Seems to work. Bottlenecks and points too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I heard about the watermelon smell about 10-12 years ago and thought the guy was nuts. About 2 weeks after watching that show on TV we went out for a night trip for stripers in New Bern to the railroad and all you could smell was watermelon. Craziest thing ever but we killed the stripers that night. People still think I'm nuts when I tell them about being able to smell feeding fish but I know it to be true. Glad to finally hear another angler mention it.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Copper 580G Costa's with this setup and your sure to WIN!!!
Funny you should mention the glasses. I had my truck broken into in my own driveway. It was locked BTW but I keep the windows cracked and they got to a lock and opened it. They took one of my most prized possessions, my electric razor that I shave my dome with AND my fishing glasses. I went the next day and got a real nice pair of glasses made by salt life. These are made in Italy with blue mirror Carl Zeiss lenses and we're the best I've owned for fishing. I say "were" because I placed them on my hat and then took my hat off while fishing and plunk, right into the drink. Luckily the store still had the same pair and they were still 50% off so I have them back. For now😀.
I could never get used to the copper color lenses and I don't know if they are a benefit as opposed to the Blue mirror/grey lens color?
Oops, forgot to mention, I found the pair I thought were stolen tucked away I the back of my truck. I guess the thieves rifled through everything and dropped the glasses where I couldn't see them during my first inspection. 👄

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't beat costas IMO. I had a pair of their bifocal sunglasses and they were perfect. I started wearing a single contact lens for reading and gave them to my BIL. These salt life are almost as good IMO and they have the real wide sides which help to keep sun off the temple area and reduces side glare. At 50% off I had to go for them even though I stood in front of the costa display almost too long. Got them at East Coast Sports. They sponsor here so I guess it's OK to include this.
Like most things you get what you pay for and, with sunglasses, this is absolutely the case.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Apologize for the tangent, but...

I started wearing a single contact lens for reading
I am thinking about doing this. My prescription is slightly different in each eye, but I can read fine with off shelf readers. I need about +2.5 to tie knots in mono. I am considering doing the single contact or single eye surgery. So, a few questions...

How much correction did you need?
Does it work well enough to tie mono?
How is your depth perception?
How long did it take you to adjust to it?

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Opti-I'll PM you about the lens topic.
BTW I adjusted to the "change" within a day or two and the comfort part took maybe 10 days to 2 weeks. This was an exception to what the MD said

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.