NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
would be neat for docks piers bridges, places like that when you are shorebound..

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree. I think it looks like a toy for those with a lot more coin than I have😁.
It does look like a decent choice for bank fishing. Maybe ice fishing? Hopefully we won't have to worry about that this year.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
If the terrain is falling off steeply towards the water, it's going to continue doing the same under the water. If the terrain is flat, it's going to be gradually sloping or flat below the water. This is especially true in freshwater lakes and many ponds because most are not dug but instead a dam is built in a "valley" in the terrain.
A basic depth finder isn't going to tell you anything that you wouldn't already know.

I'd put that money on a good rod or reel because this thing will wind up in a closet, Ebay, or Craigslist and will be more of a hassle than what it's worth.
A gimmick targeting the noobs.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Did you check out the one I was talking about? Pretty much the same thing, but only $129 and comes with free software that makes maps from the data plus it can be shared. So 3 guys paddling kayaks in a back country lake can make a map that they all have a copy of in a few minutes without carrying a bulky battery and without having to actually paddle into the coves and disturbing the fish to map them. Hard to say whether it is worth the price or not; that is a personal decision. I think their place is mapping quickly. They don't have the battery life (and neither do most smart phones) to be a replacement for regular fish finders that you would use to follow bait balls around all day at Harris (something that a cheap graphite rod will be hard pressed to do also), IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I think for anyone fishing from the bank or from small craft, this would be a great purchase. The surrounding shoreline of a given body of water can give great clues to what the depth might be, but it is not exact. I have been many places where the shoreline dropped straight into the water, and you would think that it would continue to go deep, like a bluff wall, but the bottom flattened out to a ledge that went away form the waterline for a good distance before dropping again. And I have seen the opposite to be true as well.

Creek channels are also undetected by eyesight most of the time and edges of those can hold a lot of fish.

Making casts with a good rod is also a way to "feel the bottom" but you can never cover 100% of the bottom and may miss cover like small rock piles or small trees. If you do take time to cast that much, you've spent way more time than this thing, or others like it, can tell you in just a couple casts. That it transmits water temperature is another plus...

I like anything that helps the angler better understand the area they are fishing...yes, a bit pricey, but for the information they offer and to be able to use it from the bank, its not a bad deal.

In fact, for the pond guys, you could have it mapped out pretty quick and have a much better understanding of the bottom features...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
If anyone has one of these, I would really like to get some feedback on what it's actual transmit range is like. There are a couple of places I fish where no boats are allowed. Taking one there with a surf rod rigged with braid you could get past where you normally cast to and find out what you are casting toward as well as what the depth is on the way in. But only if you could actually pick up the signal.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You've never figured out angle of line to the water in relation to depth while bank fishing?
Never figured out the rate of drop to the bottom?

Use the money to buy a good rod or reel people seem to claim alot....they they don't have the money for.

For a kayak, you can do better at that price.

It's a well known fact that fishermen and hunters are suckers by and large. It's why the fishing and hunting markets are flooded with junk that is going to boat fish or kill game GUARANTEED. Unfortunately we keep buying into it so we have to wade through a bunch of bad purchasing decisions to get to the real meat.

You don't have to spend a coupla hundred bucks to tell how deep the ol water hole is from the bank. You just have to be a little observant in your fishing. No different than surf fishing. If you are just a little observant you know what's out there and the approximate depth without electronics.
On a larger body of freshwater a 10 dollar topo map goes a long way. It doesn't have to even be a map of the lake. You can get hold of any topo map, find out the elevation of the lake and mark that contour line to outline normal pool. It'll fold up into a pocket, doesn't require batteries, or a cell phone. That topo map will give you the big picture.
Keep it simple. It's been done for years with great success.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I am still considering the $129 model I referenced. Yes, I can do line angle. That works unless there is a drop off, which is one of the things I would be most interested in. Or structure just below the surface part way out. And my fishing buddy 60' away can receive the same data. You can catch fish without it; I usually do. But I fish in some situations where it makes sense to me. I can't expect everything I decide to be the best choice for everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I suppose if a person has the unlimited amount of time that it would take to trace out all the details with rod and reel and adequately learn where and how deep a pile of rocks on an otherwise barren bottom are, then that's good for them. Im sure there are even some that wlare quite content to just throw out a line anywhere and see what happens. For me, I don't have that much time and I really want to catch fish. Having the water temp and depth and seeing bait fish in the area help me do that much more efficiently than just casting around til I think I figure something out.

Humminbird had a really cheap version of this technology years ago and I thought that was a very cool thing. Definitely saves time when learning a body of water, but it is quite apparent that the technology is getting better and if you don't have a boat to attach it to, I've not seen a better image if the bottom for a bank fisher.

For me, a person that is limited to time and wants to catch fish, I like this technology. If I were bank bound, I would have this, or something very much like it.

As for maps, I use them extensively. They are very informative but are only accurate to the time they were made. Good starting point but I still want to see what's on the bottom...and to find the schools of bait fish. Knowing where they are is key to finding the game fish. That can't be done with rod and reel.

Don't discount the technology. A person that has time and wants to learn the bottom cast by cast has that option. In my experience, most people don't have that much time.

Reactions: OptiMystic

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
In fact, for the pond guys, you could have it mapped out pretty quick and have a much better understanding of the bottom features...
Exactly. My neighborhood pond didn't come with a topo map, and I'm sure my pre-teen would learn something by building one. Might have a lot of fun towing it behind an RC boat and using an ipad to track it. Scientific measurement, charting, graphing, estimation, underwater topology, fisheries science, siltation - if any of those took permanent root in his pre-pubescent gray matter it would be a great investment.

Pretty sure I'd find something I didn't know too. Who knows - an industrious lad (or lass) could even make a few bucks mapping ponds.

Add side-scan technology and you get a whole new view.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I wish someone would chime in that has some experience with one of these. The big concerns I have are WiFi range (how far can I cast it, or how far away can my buddy be and still receive data?) and battery life. I know the battery life is a huge trade-off. If you want to follow bait fish around when they are too deep to see, you're going to need something besides one of these units. I would take the approach of looking for a few minutes to see where bait is related to structure and depth and figure out what spots near me are like that, then turn it off and fish those spots. Or cast it into a small cove a couple of times as I work a shoreline to decide whether or not to spend much time in the cove. I think it would be most useful with a thought out plan to use it sparingly but effectively.

I am adding this one to my wish list and letting Santa decide...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2Z9OYGLFC78O6/ref=cm_wl_huc_view

That's a Vexilar, which was referenced in the other thread. It has the mapping software and can be shared (multiple smart phones can receive the data at once) and is only $129 or so. EDIT - just replaced link with a better priced one that ships with Prime, so $121 including 3 day shipping.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
DR, I am confused. I am looking at the Vexilar SP-100 for about half what that reel costs. I am not having trouble casting to fish or reeling fish in. In some situations what I have for reeling them in may not be ideal and what you suggest might be an upgrade. But the product being discussed helps locate fish by actually spotting them sometimes but more often by showing the bottom contours to make it easier to locate them or at least spend less time fishing areas where it is unlikely that many fish are located. It addresses a totally different "need" than a new reel. You are suggesting a high quality reel that may improve the experience when I am fishing where it is appropriate. Sure, I would love to have one of those. But I don't understand the relevance of that in this discussion. The item in question I would probably use mostly while kayaking on Piedmont lakes and rivers.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Opti, and what exactly do you think you'll be getting for a 100 bucks?
Yall play at playing.
Spend the 100 bucks. Hump that thing around and chunk it instead of bait. Makes no sense to me in the grand scheme of things. Maybe I've just fished too long. Maybe I am just geographically in tune. Maybe I am more in tune with dirt and water growing up and living away from the concrete jungle. Maybe I'm just blessed with x-ray vision.....but I have NEVER needed a depth finder bank fishing. I can tell what is what while I fish....and it doesn't take long. Just a wee bit of observation will get you far.

It's a noob gimmick. One of several on the market.......which none have made a big splash in the fishing world.
Oh we got rod and reels that launch bait, we have bait bobbers, we have dragon fly on a lily pad. All bait for suckers and made for infomercials.

I'll fish while you complicate things with playing.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
we have dragon fly on a lily pad
The Lily Pad and the Dragonfly: A Story of Spiritual Enlightenment as Told by Arden L. Johnson

A wonderful story of how a waterbug turns into a beautiful dragonfly. The dragonfly realizes that with his HUGE wings he could fly and discovers new things he never knew existed. He remembers the promise he made his waterbug friends. He walks over to the edge of the lily pad and looks down to see his friends swimming, playing, and having fun. He gets a tear in his eye and wishes that somehow he could go back and tell them what a wonderful thing had happened. He simply looked at them and said "you'll have to wait your turn and then you will understand."
I guess I will have to wait my turn and then I will understand; in the meantime I don't think either of us is going to convince the other of anything.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.