NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to NCWRC research since the introduction of blueback and alewife herring into Lake James, walleye reproduction has declined.

Stocked fish have made up 70% of class zero and 100% of class one fish in 2013 according to NCWRC surveys.

Looks like a lake , that until recently, had excellent natural walleye reproduction will now have to be stocked, adding extra costs on the wildlife department.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you have a link to the article? I couldn't find it on google. Also what is the definition of Class? I assume it's the year it was stocked.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
What is the connection between decline in Walleye breeding and blueback herring? Do the herring not live at depths the walleye inhabit most of the year?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
121 Posts
hmmm, nice post gambrusia,just read a bunch of the reports, i bet it is hard for the ncwfc to keep up with peoples basic disrespect for laws / restrictions on bait and rouge stocking to suit there interests rather than the health of the natural ecosystem of the body of water they are fishing. this day in age where most peoples favorite words are ... me,i,my , and mine just dont care about anything but what they are doing at that exact point in time to suit them, is there a answer? or is the time when people respected others and the rules and regulations a part of history

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once herring are in the lake, they are not coming out.

I wonder how much stocking 30,000 walleye costs?

·
Registered
121 Posts
how where the herring introduced? by someone bringing them there for bait and dumping the rest out that were unused after a day of fishing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts