NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mainly fish the backwaters and creeks of North Carolina for red/black drum, trout, and flounder. I recently purchased 80lb braid. Would you say this is overkill for this sort of fishing or do you think it’s fine? I primarily use carolina rig with 15lb mono liter tied to the braid.

·
Registered
619 Posts
15 pound braid with a 15 or 20 pound mono leader. If I am specifically going after trout I do not use more than a 10 pound mono leader. I would say 80 is a good bit over the top...even around pilings and heavy cover like timber.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
little over kill, what you are doing you probaly need to step down to 30 lb braid or a little less. ...............I use 50 lb braid all the time for Bass fishing........... My 50 lb braid is the same diameter as most 12lb mono lines................for my buzzbait and spinnerbait outfits these are loaded with 50 lb braid and like I said it is the same diameter as 12 lb mono.....I use 30 lb braid on my fluke outfits with 17-20 lb fluro leader.

saltwater I use 30 lb braid on several outfits with lighter leaders or straight mono.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
182 Posts
LOL, I think you have your answer and yes, I think 80 lb braid is well over the limit for anything you'll run into in the inshore areas. I personally never use more than 12-15 lb braid for my trout and red rods. I do spool up to 30-50 lbs on my lighter trolling rods (40 lbs on my TLD 25s currently).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Inshore I fish 15 pound braid, nearshore 20, and offshore 30-50.
80 pound braid is incredibly strong and pretty thick. Consider the current you are fishing in, the drag from the larger diameter line may be an issue. Also 80lb will not cast nearly as easily or far as lighter weight lines.

I started out with 80 and 100 pound braid for offshore and quickly realized that once hooked into something you dont want (sharks, turtles, etc.) it is all but impossible to break free...

~Michael

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Where I fish, long casts are important for reds and trout and the lighter lines cast further. 80lb braid is overkill inshore. I use that when bottom fishing wrecks for snapper and grouper when they need to be turned and pulled out immediately. Most my inshore stuff is spooled with 20lb braid and 20lb flouro leader for stained water, 12 to 15lb leader for clear water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts