NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Hmmmmm....I post as I can but I rarely see anyone else posting fishing reports or much of anything for that matter. What gives...is this a dying forum or is everyone just too paranoid to post a report. I don't need the GPS for your favorite hole but it would be kind of nice to see a little chatter here now and then!

Bruce

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree Bruce, would be nice to see more reporting. Still, I have learned a lot by searching and reading older threads. Seems the forum was more active pre-instagram, maybe it is a dying platform.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Its my understanding that the majority have immigrated to Facebook—which I will never do. 2-3 years ago there were at least a dozen new posts every day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I refuse to own a FB page...I don't need to know what you had for dinner last night and I sure as heck don't need to know when you last...well, never mind. As for Twitter/instagram/whatever...no thanks, too many people overshare already as I noted above. You guys are stuck with me I guess.

@Chris52...how's the reds treating you now? I pecan crusted some fillets last night...I usually blacken them but decided to try pecans and it was worth the experiment! Very tasty!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
No social media for me either. Here’s a report from last week.
I fished the Flat River in Durham on Friday. Great day out there. I usually don’t bass fish but I did Friday. I caught 8 bass. My 3 biggest were 20,19.5, and 19 inches. The other 5 were from 12-16 inches. 3 channel cats too.

Bass hit a chatterbait and wacky worm. Catfish on the wacky worm.
~JOE~
Smile Sky Cloud Fish Tree
Sky Fin Fish Fisherman Fishing

·
Registered
2 Posts
We fished Rice Creek, which flows into Town Creek in Brunswick County, over the weekend. I think we were a little too far upstream into the stagnant water because there were bowfin surfacing for air everywhere every minute or so and that was all I caught. I'm not complaining, mind you, as bowfin are fun to catch!

All in all, it was a beautiful day on the water and next time we're heading downstream to find the bass.

-christen

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No social media for me either. Here’s a report from last week.
I fished the Flat River in Durham on Friday. Great day out there. I usually don’t bass fish but I did Friday. I caught 8 bass. My 3 biggest were 20,19.5, and 19 inches. The other 5 were from 12-16 inches. 3 channel cats too.

Bass hit a chatterbait and wacky worm. Catfish on the wacky worm.
~JOE~ View attachment 218995 View attachment 218996
Nice fish, Joe. Thanks for stepping up and posting a report. I'm not a freshwater guy but those bass must have been a blast depending on what weight tackle you were using. If you ever get a yen for the saltwater/coast let me know. I'm always looking for new friends to wet a line with!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We fished Rice Creek, which flows into Town Creek in Brunswick County, over the weekend. I think we were a little too far upstream into the stagnant water because there were bowfin surfacing for air everywhere every minute or so and that was all I caught. I'm not complaining, mind you, as bowfin are fun to catch!

All in all, it was a beautiful day on the water and next time we're heading downstream to find the bass.

-christen
I see you've recently registered Christen, welcome to the forum. It may be a little sedentary right now but I'm hoping we can revive it. Bowfin, bass, trout, stripers, species isn't as important as getting out there and chunking some plastic, lead, etc. You can always find me either on the Pamlico (river and sound) or somewhere off the coast and I'm always up for fishing!

Good luck on the next trip and yeah, sounds like you were a little too far up the creek to me but then...I readily admit I'm not a freshwater guy so don't take my word for it!

Tight lines,
Bruce

·
Registered
572 Posts
Christen—welcome! Will look forward to your reports from down that way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I think it's simple evolution, many will move on, and others are set in our ways. Some are just too busy to post or even fish, some of us are just trying to make a living. I don't do social media, I do get emails and stop in here from time to time. I think emails like this will encourage others to post more often . Make it a comfortable place and many more will join in. .....As a Wise Man once said.... " Everybody has to Believe in Something, I believe I'll Go Fishing "

·
Registered
Pacifica. No tent needed.
29 Posts
As much as this may sound ‘old school’, I really miss the old bulletin boards. They seemed more personal and the banter back and forth was epic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I too have zero interest in social media. I do read the posts here every other week or so. Ashamed to say I rarely post anything myself. I should do better. That said, I'll report that I took my kayak out on High Point City Lake Monday. Had a good day. Caught 10 bass ranging from 10" throwback to a long 19" one. The 19" was skinny as a rail, I doubt it weighed much more than 2 1/2 lbs. All were caught on plastic worms ranging from 4" to 7". I was on Randleman reservoir at SW Park last Thursday. Caught 5 small bass on plastic worms, and one nice bass near 4lbs and 2 giant crappie on a squarebill crankbait. I'm retired and usually fish 2, sometimes 3 days a week, weather and honey do list permitting. But never on weekends. I'll try to to post a little more often.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OBX Weekend fishing report, here on the OBX we have a radio station and you can Join Captain Marty for an in-depth look at the week in fishing on the Outer Banks, interviews with local charter captains and marina/pier officials, and insights and commentary you won't find anywhere else. As aired live on Beach 104 and BIG 94.5 Saturday mornings from 6:30 - 8:30 AM. Ck this link to listen live on Saturdays

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All,

So gratifying to see that there is still some life left in this forum. I look forward to more joining us as we work to revive what could be one of the "go-to" places for information on fishing the great state of NC and beyond. I try to post regularly and I almost always try to post fishing report when I do hit the water. I primarily fish the lower Pamlico river and sound and off and near-shore. I usually pull out to Beaufort Inlet when I'm off-shore but I have been known to pull a little further south to the Wrightsville Beach area (Masonboro Inlet) and hit 23Rock and some of the ARs in that area.

I used to run the north beaches and fished out of Oregon inlet (scary inlet but if you pick and choose your days, it's rewarding) but I also appreciated fishing the surf and trouting off of the Melvin R Daniels bridge was a go-to for specks during earl spring and fall. There's a hardcore group of fishermen there who make that bridge and the high rise just west of it a daily ritual. I've seen plenty of 20+" specks pulled in off those bridges! I'll shout out, Ted Midyette, Butch, Johnny A.. Paul, Jim and all that crew...maybe some of them will join us here and keep us posted on that part of the coast.

@OBXRealtor...I used to regularly listen to Capt. Marty's reports and there's always some real information to be gleaned from those. I just sold my place in KDH back in early July so I don't hit those waters much anymore but I'm planning on fishing the old Mann's Harbor bridge for stripers once they open the season. Trolling under that bridge used to make for some exciting fishing. Msybe we can hook up and scare up a striper or two?

@[email protected] is a good source of information for between Goose Creek State Park and the mouth of the Pamlico. He probably knows those waters a lot better than I and he's been more than helpful in assisting me in finding fish. I'd keep an eye on him for what's going on in that part of the Pamlico!

Keep it coming guys, there's a lot of water out there and fishing it all is going to require a collaborative effort!

Tight lines all!!
Bruce

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
It's a catch-22 situation on most fishing web sites.
I do social media ( Instagram, Facebook, You Tube ) because it's much easier, less combative & with current reports.
In less than 5 minutes each morning you can see what's happened yesterday from Nags Head to Bald Head.
If you follow the right people you will learn what's biting & what to throw.
You will learn to target species that are here for a short period of time. Like my favorite long standing rival, Tarpon.

I do a daily check-in here & on THT for local info that will improve my catch to fish ratio. Lately I'm finding both sites less useful because of fewer reports. If you're not reporting, why should others?
See we have come full circle.........ICM

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ICM...you're a long timer on this forum I see. Nice to see you're still taking notice and checking in regularly.

I get that all the social media is fast and convenient but a lot of us are wary of those platforms given the types of people who frequent them. I killed my FB page many years ago after realizing it was truly just a revenue stream for Zuck and served no real purpose. As i noted previously, I don't need to know when you last had a BM or sex...

I'm old school and have no issue accepting that. Heck, I know how to use a compass and while yes, I do use my Nav systems/GPS positioning while off-shore, I can still find my way home if those systems should fail. Before you start thinking here's another dinosaur who needs to crawl back in their cave, I'm an analytical chemist working in pharmaceutical research with some of the most complex toys you'll encounter so I'm not tech adverse...but I am older and not ashamed to admit that fact!

Hope you had a good summer season, we're almost on to the fall season.

Tight lines
Bruce

·
Registered
572 Posts
All…it is trout time in Belhaven. I hear they are catching some nice fish. If you go, don’t worry about finding the fish—just look for the gazillion boats! If you can go on the week days, you might have better luck avoiding the crowds at the ramp.

As an alternative to the above, and if you are trailering that far anyway, you might put in at the very nice Wildlife ramp at Wright Creek on the lower Pungo. Any of those Pungo River Creeks, or Abel Bay, would be likely spots to get hooked up.

Potter’s Marina ($5 launch fee, and plenty of parking) on Ashton Gut in North Creek, is a great spot for quick access to Indian Island, South Creek, and the Intercoastal Waterway. There is also a nice kayak launch at Potter’s, with protected water to both the left and right of the marina. Look at Google Maps to pinpoint these ramps and their relative positions to likely fishing spots.

A cooler, and very pretty, weekend ahead—tight lines, everyone!

Reactions: cbruce41

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ill chime in here... I do have 2 FB accounts for my businesses but swore Id never get a personal one. I joined a Volly Fire dept 2 years ago and that was their main means of communicating via a Private "members only" group. At 55 I am the elder statesman and most of our members are in their 20s or early 30s. Heck our Chief is 10 years younger than me lol. Since I had a FB acct I started joining a few Private groups. I have been pleasantly surprised that I enjoy a few select things on FB like Marketplace, Offshore catamarans, Sportfishing boats for sale worldwide, etc... where I can find things for sale (boats) within 500 miles of where I say "home" is. That being said I dont use my name for my FB acct and its linked to a throwaway email acct cause of some of the things @cbruce41 pointed out. I use it for what I want not what Zuck wants to glean.
As to the forum here I occasionally drop in to check on things and frankly the lack of posts makes it fall off the map on the sites I hit regularly. I stopped in here to see if there were any fishing reports for Cape Lookout as I am captaining my CC for a scout troop fishing trip to CLO this weekend. Its the troop my son got his eagle with many years ago but although i dont like the direction things have gone with BSA I will answer the bell when they were short on boats for the trip. I will try to do a better job of stopping in and posting some info when I do get a chance to go. And Cbruce if you read this far send me a PM about going fishing together sometime. My wife hates it when I go by myself especially 10-20 miles out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man....57 degrees this morning! If that doesn't turn on the trout bite, I don't know what will. I would love to be down in the Pungo right now but I'm guessing that lucky guy, Chris52 is and I'm hoping he's going to show us some gator trout pictures... This is the kind of weather that makes you want to crawl out of bed at 3:00 am....woohooooooo!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Had too many chores and errands this morning, so am going this afternoon…water temp in the middle-Pamlico yesterday was 76.9, down from 88 two weeks ago. Caught a couple of small reds last evening (after the rain cleared out) in about an hour. Will report out again tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts