NC Angler Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
BigTrout, thanks for chiming in and sharing some pics of nice looking fish!

I'm a for the freezer type of fisherman so I have to ask, do you eat what you catch or is it just for sport? How is the trolling going so far? I've done some lead core and downrigger fishing up on Erie but never here in NC. What type of lures are you working on the downriggers?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey @OBXRealtor...you got any updates from up your way? I see the Bonner pier is now officially open....woohooooooo!!! I need to grab the generator and light sets and drive up one evening! Maybe those of us close enough should plan on a mornig/evening fishing it? I'm game if anyone else is (might have to hit up the Melvin R. Daniels too while I'm there....waters temps are getting about right for trout now!)! Anybody else have thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
98 Posts
BigTrout, thanks for chiming in and sharing some pics of nice looking fish!

I'm a for the freezer type of fisherman so I have to ask, do you eat what you catch or is it just for sport? How is the trolling going so far? I've done some lead core and downrigger fishing up on Erie but never here in NC. What type of lures are you working on the downriggers?
Yeah I often eat what I catch. But I'm the only fish eater in my family so depending on how many fillets are in the freezer I may or may not keep. Those trout had nice bright pink flesh, the grilled fillets were great. Those big blue catfish, well, I hate to kill them when they get up that large and larger. I figure if they've made it that far I'll just release 'em. I'll keep smaller ones and prefer to eat the fillets fresh or no more than a few weeks in the freezer.
Those trout were the first victims of my learning to troll, after maybe 1/2 dozen attempts. I've tried hoochies with a nightcrawler, Rapalas, spoons though very limited, and I got those on Rooster Tails. Life's gotten in the way and I haven't had a chance to get back to the cold lakes. Maybe after the Santee trip.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
ICM,

All I can say is NICE!!!!...but you're still killing me! Got through the weekend of honey-dos so I'm clear to fish next weekend but the weather isn't looking so great right now. Guess I'll have to see how it looks Wednesday before I make any decisions. You got some mad skills on the video editing too I see...sweet!!

Keep it coming, guy!
Bruce

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Yeah I often eat what I catch. But I'm the only fish eater in my family so depending on how many fillets are in the freezer I may or may not keep. Those trout had nice bright pink flesh, the grilled fillets were great. Those big blue catfish, well, I hate to kill them when they get up that large and larger. I figure if they've made it that far I'll just release 'em. I'll keep smaller ones and prefer to eat the fillets fresh or no more than a few weeks in the freezer.
Those trout were the first victims of my learning to troll, after maybe 1/2 dozen attempts. I've tried hoochies with a nightcrawler, Rapalas, spoons though very limited, and I got those on Rooster Tails. Life's gotten in the way and I haven't had a chance to get back to the cold lakes. Maybe after the Santee trip.
LOL, Bigtrout...I'm the only one in my family that will touch anything other than a flounder filet (guess you can understand why the wife let me fish 6 days out of the 14 day flounder season, huh?) I'm clear to fish next weekend so if weather permits I'm planning on trouting (speckled) somewhere in the lower Pamlico or the sound. Water temps are getting close now and I hear the Pungo River has been giving up some nice sized fish (anything over 20" goes back in the water though}.

Tight lines
Bruce

41 - 46 of 46 Posts