NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I dont see where it says in the rule book that it's illegal.
The only time I would think it would be an issue is when it's concealed.

If on your belt, or out in the open and used during the activity of fishing and not actively threatning anyone with it.. I'd bet your just fine.

I carry a knife when hunting and when on the boat, there's knives readily available.
When checked by a game warden, I'll let them know if I or my vehicle has a weapon in/on it, for their safety and mine.. (not so much when stopped on the boat though..).

As long as you announce it, and the lawman is aware that you have a potentional weapon, you shouldnt have any grief.

Note: only thing I did see in the rule book is you cannot have a "loaded" weapon/firearm on a public NCWL ramp. I'm assuming that's for them folks that duck hunt or carry a firearm for defensive/submissive measures while boating. I know myself I carry a weapon as a means of dispatch on occasion. Just remember, if stopped or checked by the game warden, announce that you have a weapon (personal knife/pistol/shotgun) on your person or aboard your vessel.

Usually gaffs, fishing/bait knives are considered not that unusual, at least that's been my experience.

now if your in a bar with a knife or at wally world pullin a knife on someone who just bought the last of gulp baits on that perfect weather weekend for fishin... then you might have some issues...

:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
no there isnt many problems with knives or handguns for that matter on boats. technically you can bring a machette if you want but they will question your means with that big of a blade i personally brought one to get into back creeks and chopping branches but another issue if its gamelands your chopping another problem. but dont have it concealed on you body if its concealed on the boat thats ok. but i agree with dave do make it aware to the warden if needbe. but just to let you know if you have a fillet knife usually used for bait but just to let you know. make sure you arent cleaning fish on the boat while fishing save that for home. reason is for fish that have a minimum length requirement or a slot limit you will get in trouble if you have fish fillets you cought that day. so just keep for fishing not cleaning unless you know the laws on that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
No problems, all though I wouldn't advise taking it with you in larger retail stores. Some people like to "make" things a problem. I believe that the law "says" somewhere "no longer than a 3" blade" as far as carrying one for daily use. I 've carried a fixed blade for a while and people freeked when they saw it. They did not know the area behind the cutting edge is the ricasso and is not considered in the "blade length".

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
You will find that the laws as they pertain to knives is intentionally vague. There is nothing in NC laws that prevents you from carrying a filet knife onboard your boat. I don't know any LE officer or Conservation Officer that would stop you for carrying your knife while bank fishing (unless you happen to run into the Barney Fife Type). Use your good judgement and I don't think that you would have any problem at all.

Here are the the NC statues that pertain to carrying a knife;

14-269 (excerpts). Carrying concealed weapons. (a) It shall be
unlawful for any person, except when on his own premises,
willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his
person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger... razor... or other
deadly weapon of like kind. This section does not apply to
an ordinary pocket knife carried in a closed position. As
used in this section, "ordinary pocket knife" means a
small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse,
which has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by
its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing,
explosive, or spring action... (b1) It is a defense to
prosecution under this section that: (1) The weapon was
not a firearm; (2) The defendant was engaged in, or on the
way to or from, an activity in which he legitimately used
the weapon...
- 14-269.2... (d) It shall be a misdemeanor for any person to
possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any...
bowie knife, dirk, dagger... switchblade knife... razors
and razor blades (except solely for personal shaving), and
any sharp-pointed or edged instrument, except
instructional supplies, unaltered nail files and clips and
tools used solely for preparation of food... on
educational property [or to cause, encourage, or aid a
minor to do likewise].
- 14-269.6... it shall be unlawful for any person, including
law enforcement officers... to possess, offer for sale,
hold for sale, sell, give, loan, deliver, transport,
manufacture or go armed with any spring-loaded projectile
knife, ballistic knife, or any weapon of similar
character...

NC Case Law
"Knife about 4-1/2 inches in overall length which, when
folded, was clearly designed for carrying in a pocket or
purse, was an 'ordinary pocketknife' as defined by this
section." (1989)

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
You really don't have anything to worry . As I said, these are purposely written to be vague. It's all a bunch to do about nothing. If you want some real assurance call your local Conversation Officers or the Attorney General's office.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
No problems, all though I wouldn't advise taking it with you in larger retail stores. Some people like to "make" things a problem. I believe that the law "says" somewhere "no longer than a 3" blade" as far as carrying one for daily use. I 've carried a fixed blade for a while and people freeked when they saw it. They did not know the area behind the cutting edge is the ricasso and is not considered in the "blade length".
i once walked into cato's packing a pair of long barrled wheel guns,on christmas eve..i got very good service,and cheerful sales staff.. best service i ever recieved on christmas eve..

it might have been that there was 4 of us.or that we just back from a week of bear hunting on the coast..ya know muddy, scruffy,long haired,camo clad guys that smelled like wet dogs and swamp water....ew!!!:eek:

zooker

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.