NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm originally from Oregon and used to fly fish for trout all the time.
I'm in the Charlotte area now and just started trying my hand at bass fishing last summer, without much luck.
Haven't been since the fall, since I assumed bass fishing was more of a warm weather thing.
Is it too cold to fish the Charlotte area lakes and ponds now? Or should I give it a shot?

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Never too cold for bass around here! I fish Lake Norman and Wylie and have been catching them on jerkbaits with long pauses between the twitches...

I used to live in Oregon, as well. I lived in The Dalles and Portland and loved the fly fishing and the river fishing up there. I REALLY like the bass fishing here, though!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Guy on another group I frequent has caught a couple of decent ones through the ice in MI in the last few days. He was using 2# line with a tiny jig for ~8" panfish; said it was fairly exciting hooking up with ~18" bass instead.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
One of the guys I know fished in the CBC on Norman this past weekend...they got just over 15 pounds for five bass. 18.75 pounds won it and over over 60 of the teams weighed more than 10 pounds...Norman is on fire right now!

I'd say they are still biting...I'm going to check them out this weekend...I've got a BFL tourney on Norman in a couple weeks...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never too cold for bass around here! I fish Lake Norman and Wylie and have been catching them on jerkbaits with long pauses between the twitches...

I used to live in Oregon, as well. I lived in The Dalles and Portland and loved the fly fishing and the river fishing up there. I REALLY like the bass fishing here, though!
I grew up in Eugene. Spent lots of days fly fishing for trout on the McKenzie, with a few mostly unsuccessful attempts at salmon and steelhead on the Umpqua and Rogue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone.
As you can tell, I'm a rookie when it comes to bass and I hadn't been fishing at all in years.
Just started again last summer as something to do with my kids.
We've gone to Cane Creek, Colonel Francis Beatty park, and our neighborhood pond.
Didn't have any luck with crankbaits or plastic worms, so we started trying real worms, but only managed a couple very small bass and a bunch of sunfish. My 10 yr old daughter is happy to catch anything, so that's ok, but I'd definitely like to get some bigger bass this year.
We did a camping trip up to Wilson Creek last fall, saw plenty of trout, hooked a few, but only managed to land a couple small ones.

·
Registered
184 Posts
get ya some crickets, set up with bobbers, hook an shot. fish all aroun the pond. most ponds have excellant populations of brim(bluegill, redears, pumkinseeds an other sunfish) this is the way to keep a child interested in fishin, in my experience.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Welcome to the site. Not sure if you were at the Red X Angler M&G at the Lake Norman Marshall steam plant. If not, and they have another this coming year, we'd love to meet you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.