NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something to think about for the future sometime. I know there are guys on here with ocean goin boats and just wonder if it would be cool to get some guys around and mothership some yaks out to a reef somewhere and tangle with a few reef donkeys! Not set up for it now and it would most likely be a lot safer in warmer water. Its been done before and I think it would be a rush! Anyone else think so?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm not a kayaker yet , so my ideas don't hold much water, but Frying Pan Tower to me would be a great place to do such a thing. It is populated now so its a good spot in case any emergencies arise. http://www.fptower.com/reservations.html

Reactions: roostertail24

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
U gotta paddle or it doesn't count...
So since all the dams below Milburnie are gone, is that where you put in to fish in shore? Yes, I am yanking your chain but I do have a point. I don't see taking a power boat to where you want to kayak as being all that different from driving to a place you could have paddled to. I do understand having contests where that's a rule, making paddling out from shore part of the competition.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here is the thing, people who say mothershipping for fish on a kayak doesn't count, have never fished for anything out on the open ocean.

I have caught Almaco Jacks from my kayak, which are a type of Amberjack. Now yes, I launched from shore for them, but that was in Florida. So what is the difference if I had a big boat or my truck take me to my spot?

Secondly, a boat may in fact, take you to the spot and get you on fish. But there is still work to be done. The gulf stream is no joke, it can rip pretty fast. You are still responsible for positioning your kayak and deploying your tackle properly. You are still responsible for fighting the fish, one of which you will not be in control of for a bit. Your also handicapped in putting pressure on the fish which increases your odds of getting snagged or feeding the sharks as opposed to being on a boat.

Anyways, good endeavor, hopefully I'll be catching some of them this upcoming year. I'd highly recommend doing some vertical butterfly jigging for them. Be ready, you are going to be hurting afterwards. Its the only kayak fishing thus far that gave me bruises :)

P.S. Richard at Frying Pan Tower has no problem lowering you off the tower in your kayak into the sea of doom below. I've inquired before, but didn't feel I was ready for it at the time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have mother shipped for YF tuna in the North East some years back. Have caught some good BT sharks and some other large fish from yaks. Was involved in yak manufacture for some years.
The challenge of bigger fish on yaks is what does the fish fight like? Does it run out, or is it an all out up and down battle?
If it is going to be an all out up and down battle(AJ), then the question is am I going to be forced to stop him from getting to his "home" and breaking me off. AJ...yep. So the next part of the equation is how much drag can you apply from the seated position of the yak without going swimming? ( Done it)
If there is "no bottom" to worry about, (tuna in the canyons), drag is not as big an issue.... let it run and wear it out,
Over wrecks, that's tough.
Now there are little are ways of dealing with heavy drag from the yak, such as keeping that rod tip right next to, parallel to the yak, and you can handle a heavier setting. That same setting and you let that tip get out perpendicular to the yak and you might be swimming.
So, if I were going wreck fishing I would want a really stable and wide yak. Not a yak you would want to paddle for miles, but you won't be. Yer wreck fishing.
Gear? That's a varied topic. It needs to be able to stop the fish. Lots of reels can do that. You want to be able to recover line quickly, and you want cranking power. Short rod. It does not need to be able to "pass" over the bow.
For myself/ I would stick to bait. There is a lot do do out there and trying to maintain, position, keep bow and yak into the current/wind/wave and work a lure/jig is no treat long term.
Go for it!
beagle

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I watched a video not long ago with someone in a Stealth kayak fighting a large fish. The Stealth yaks are surfski inspired; long and fairly skinny. He was sitting side saddle with feet in the water and I noticed he seemed to be leaning back to try to keep the fish from pulling him over and using his feet to be able to rock forward when the fish turned. He tried to make it look easy (it was a promo video) but it looked like a pretty delicate balancing act. My guess is he went over a few times learning to do that well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have sat side saddle. Yep, it is a practiced act that will require some failures.;)
Side saddle has its own set of "things". Fairly calm it's a good position. On a wide stable yak. Good. Confused seas that can be found in current sometimes make the need to keep looking over yer shoulder a pain
Side saddle puts all the forces on your lower back and arms in a fish fight. Your legs are of no help. Picture sitting on the edge of your roof with a pole and letting me try and pull you off. Best be in good shape for that for more than 5 minutes.
But, that's what makes it all fun and interesting, right?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Be very careful with the thought of letting the fish run and tire itself out. I had that idea on day 2 of my Florida trip. I had 2 sharks as big as my revolution come pay me a visit. I tail grabbed my catch feet away from the literal jaws of defeat. Vertical jigging is much easier on a pedal kayak since you can pedal into the current which helps aid in keeping the presentation vertical. I did donuts on top of the water while letting my jig drop to the bottom in 250+ of water to help in this. Make sure you do invest in some decent gear or you will come home with broken gear. After much research my combo of choice was a Shimano MH Trevala Jigging rod paired with a Shimano Saragosa 10kSW. That rod whups some fish and the reel is a smooth operating winch with extra smooth drag and an incredible amount of drag pressure.

This is what you will look like doing it. You'll realize this is quite possibly one of the dumbest ideas you've had.

Water Sky Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Flag

Tug of war is fun though. Parabolic bend ftw.

Water Cloud Sky Casting (fishing) Boat

Still need to edit my videos, hoping to do so in a few weeks, both of these pictures are stills from video :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Alright... I will just say it would count more if you paddled... but I do understand the circumstances...obviously...anything caught with or out of a kayak is of course... extra credit as usual :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Alright... I will just say it would count more if you paddled... but I do understand the circumstances...obviously...anything caught with or out of a kayak is of course... extra credit as usual :)
AJ from a kayak would be so easy if they came and lived on some of the very close artificial reefs! Anyways get what you are saying. Other problem with that kind of fishing, is anything short of a freight train isn't nearly as fun anymore!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The terrible thing is I remember seeing huge amberjacks caught as a young boy 13 or 14 off many of the piers in North Carolina I'm talking 70 pounds they have all but disappeared...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
menhaden nets , rain run off, and dredging I suspect have a lot to do with that. Less bait, dirtier water, more fresh water influx.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ok! I want to see this! Every time I catch one from the boat, It's something that makes ya wanta break for a minute or so.

I went out grouper fishing this past Saturday, and they were everywhere! I didn't want to catch them, so I avoided them, when they give us a pass under the boat.

They were thickest at 12 miles out..................so when we doing this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.