NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client that wants to sell me a 1978 Ebbtide Bass Boat w/ 150 Johnson that was rebuilt in 2003 by reputable mechanic, new minn kota foot controlled trolling motor. Interior in good cond. along with trailer for $2000.00, I know its old, but if the motor has been reworked and it has a new trolling motor, I dont see where its a bad deal. I know him well and he said everything works great, what kind of stuff do I need to look out for on a boat this old? i would like to here anybodys 2 cent, Rob

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
BoatUS Guide to Buying & Selling A Boat

the above link will help ya out a little

Dont know if NADA buying guide goes back that far for used boat values, but might be worth a look as well.

If you have a friend/co-worker that's knowledgable about boats, take him along with you to help you look over the boat real good before buying. Or, take to a trusted local dealer for an unbiased opinion on condition.

Best of luck ;)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If it floats well, runs good and the floor is solid, and the trailer roadworthy it sounds like a good price to me. Check pumps/livewells/batteries andif possible take it out on the water. Just running with a garden hoise wont show you anything other than the motor idles well and accelerates without load. Once in the water everything changes!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Check the floor for soft spots and make sure the transom is in good shape. Look over the trailer carefully after you launch for rust, working lights, bunks in good shape, etc. Wouldn't want to buy without an in-water test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.