NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally managed to put a Red drum in my boat, but the day was almost a disaster.

Made the 2-1/2 hour trip to the coast, somewhere behind Topsail Island lets say, and arrived just as the rising sun was beginning to light up the sky. I could hardly sleep last night because it finally looked like an ideal day with the weather and tides cooperating with my schedule. Made the run to my first spot, the only place I had seen reds in the water before, but determined not to spook them before presenting a lure this time. Started with a hot pink top dog, man is that thing noisy, and my buddy was throwing a blue back skitterwalk I think, that made much less noise. He got the first reaction so I got to over thinking again, maybe the reds wanted a slightly more subtle approach, and changed over to my other topdog, white with red dot on the chin, which I had thrown before and it doesn't make nearly the noise that the new hot pink one does. I'm glad I changed it. Working our way into the flat, fan casting everywhere before we even got anywhere near it. About half way through the large open area of this particular flat, I cast on the down current side of an oyster shoal, which also happened to be the wind blown side, albeit only a slight breeze, and began my retrieve. I got a solid strike about 15' off the shoal and I had a fish on! I was throwing my topwater on a stout MH action 7' G.Loomis rod so the fight was all one sided, like 5-8 seconds one sided, and my first red drum ever was at the boat. "Where's your net?" my buddy asked. "Uhhh, I don't have one", I said. No big deal, I'll just grab it and fulfill my destiny just like... flick of the tail, destiny!!!!!!!! My first red fish was gone.:eek: Soul crushed, trying to think of how I could tell the tale of the one that I ALMOST got. I'll be purchasing a landing net at my first available opportunity.

After crying many tears, and throwing my temper tantrum on the boat, I thought I should probably continue fishing and maybe I'll find another blind red to run into my lure. Well that turned out to be a good decision, as at about 3/4 of the way through the flat, I had another strike, but it missed. Thank you youtube redfishing videos where I learned to just keep retrieving at the same pace after a missed strike. So I did, and that red came back and ATE my topwater lure! Took it under the water, then slack line, NOOOOOOO, he dropped it, NOOOO he didn't he was swimming toward me, he still had it OMG!!!! Fish on! 3-5 seconds later I power-lifted him into the boat green as can be, I would not lose a second one today. At this point I was at a loss, I had a complete brain lapse as to what to do next. This red is looking at me, flopping occasionally as if to say "would you mind removing the sharp object affixed to my mouth sir, I can't say that I particularly enjoy it being in there". WOW! Uh, oh yeah remove the hook(s), take picture, measure, revive and return fish to the water, DUH. Fist pumping occurred after the red swam off.

Thanks to all you fine men and women who put up with all my previous posts with regards to not having caught a red fish yet, and still offering your comments and advice. THANK YOU Birdman571, you know why. And now the moment you've all been waiting for, we've all been waiting for I guess, especially me.
Water Sky Watercraft Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
I know, I need, well my friend needs photography lessons from Jetskibrian. And yes, it was a small one, only 16", but hey it's my first red drum ever. So I have a boat for sale and a couple rods and some tackle, I'm quitting fishing now. But seriously folks, I think this has made me even more obsessed, so you haven't gotten rid of me yet. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations sir. From your threads and comments I know this was a long struggle. Glad to see you finally got one. Now you face a dilemma, the compelling need to duplicate the result thousands of times.
Don't forget "improve" on my results, and complete an inshore slam. You put it perfectly though.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Bwahahaha, the man lives up to his name! Congrats on a VERY hard earned catch, and thanks for taking us all along for the ride. We all knew it was gonna happen.

Personally, I think all the credit goes to Richard Smally, because you ARE good enough, Smart enough, and gosh darn it, at least TWO redfish just like you!

Congrats on the catch, and my most sincere sympathies for the miseries of the addiction you will have to live with for the rest of your natural life. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Congrats quest! I had almost the exact same experience last summer - first ever for-real redfish, a big one too, at the boat and too big for the puny net I had (I did have a net though). Grabbed the leader and that was that. Now I have a large landing net. The next one did not get away so easily. I'm still learning how to fish for them and that was a tough lesson but one I won't forget. I appreciate your over-thinking and asking questions because I learn from the answers too.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Congrats. What I suspect will happen is now that you've caught fish, you'll catch more fish at a quicker rate. That's what happened with me, I started spending more time fishing and less time changing baits, moving the boat, etcetera.

I still get skunked, that just happens unless you can fish "all the time"- and I still overthink it, but I definitely catch more fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Hmmmm I think someone mentioned increasing the odds by forgetting the net? Maybe it was another thread. Anyway congratulations on your first red AND for biting the dust now that you did so on top water. Remember no bite you ever get henceforth will be like that one.
Good going on keeping the bait moving. I rarely get a single strike hook up. Two days ago I got one after three blow ups and a second after four. I've had as many as nine blow ups before a huge know up. I'm sure others have had even more than that. It's something I'd rather have happen than not. The blow ups are the best part imo so if you get multiple per fish all the better. There is no beating that swirling vacuum sound like a high speed toilet flush.
Time to sell the golf clubs. You won't be using them any more.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I told you we needed to turn the boat and that the pic was going to be crappy you were to excited to hear anything. Like on the car ride home you noticed that it had two spots even thought i said that while i took the picture. Just sayin....

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
A word of caution, don't become a slave to top water like I've become. You will catch more fish by leaving it alone when it isn't getting the love you think it should. By doing so you'll learn to use, and be confident with, sub surface baits.
Look at all the money the posters here have saved you by showing you that artificial baits are great for drum. So long as you don't loose too many to the bottom snags

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Think top water addiction is bad? Flyfishing is waaaaay worse. Then you get the whole top water fly addiction and you are done. Always have two flyrods in the boat and I KNOW I won't catch as much on them, but they call to me, taunt me, "Green monster, you know you wanna. Put that silly spinning combo down. Get all tangled up in flyline. Smash yourself in the head with a lead headed fly moving at mach 6. Lose an eye. You knoooooooow you want to.".

And I always do.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.