NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my Kayak buddy decided to head to New Bern over the weekend in search of crappie. It was pretty cold but we figured we take the chance anyway seeing that it had been a while since we've gotten the yaks wet. We put in at a landing we knew about and starting fishing immediately. On my depth finder we ran across what we thought were a small school of crappie. Decided to use a drop shot rig with a small minnow and troll over the area. Immediately we hooked up. I figured it was a crappie, but to my surprise it was a slab raccoon perch. We were on them pretty good with the occasional crappie mixed in. All in all it was a pretty good day.

Water Sky Sunglasses Goggles Tree

Water Sky Plant Tree Sunglasses

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Great job on the catch blaze. That is also one of my fishing spots, but have been going to Brices Creek lately. It has been over a week since I went, trying for crappie. No luck on the crappie, so I had an hour left and got out my fly rod. I lost 2 fish that I think were raccoon perch, and caught 2 that were. On of those was fairly large, but not quite as large as the ones you are showing. The other was full of eggs, but was smaller.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.