NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't catch a trout so I anchored out amonst the breakers in the inlet. Minced drum is on the neighborhood menu for tomorrow night.

Reactions: backlash

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nice Reds, Frank. What were you using on them there bottom rigs? Ya know, those red filets are mighty good on the grill! Or baked! Or Broiled! I didn't say fried cause deep frying is not good for ol folks. Something about the arteries I guess. Anyway, I try not to fry good eatin fish like that. Good Job and there's plenty of time for trout.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using cut bluefish for bait--Neighbor will cook a Downeast minced drum stew with them --I can handle that.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Forrest - Excellent catch! And nice try about giving up on the trout :rolleyes: - we know better. This drum thing is just to throw us off your trail! ;) Never trust a speck angler.....:D
yeah, what he meant to say was... "After catching my limit of specs, I anchored....." LOL:eek:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sorry for calling you Frank, I guess I confused your ID with someone else's. If at all possible, I'd appreciate a copy of the Minced Drum Stew. I cook alot and am always ready to read a recipe or try one. Your reputation, according to these other members, seems to counter your thread title. Should have figured that. All fishermen throw out smoke screens.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Frank, huh... I can smell this one from here :D
5 habenero peppers minced
3 jalapenos minced
3 lbs hot spanish onions minced
2 cloves of garlic minced
6 drum fillets cut into 1/2" cubes
1 jumbo bottle of dave's insanity sauce
3 dashes tarragon
2 tablespoons cayenne powder
Make sure you CALL YOUR INLAWS WHEN YOU START !

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
IF YOU FED THAT TO YOUR INLAWS IT WOULD BE SUMMER ALL RIGHT!!!! Not many people could dice up much less mince that many habeneros. If you made it by the recipie and made it thru OK I'm sure you'd catch some real heat for feeding something that hot to your inlaws.:D I just had to tease Slow Riser about asking for a recipie from someone right after getting their name wrong. I did something a lot worse this week. I was waiting for the elevator after discussing my heart catheterization scheduled for the next day with the cardiologist. My sister was with me was somewhat worried and a nurse had told her not to worry that the guy that was going to do the procedure was a teaching Dr and had done thousands. she was telling me this while we were waiting on the elevator. Just as I blurted out "there ain't no way that young punk has done thousands", he walks up behind us. OOPS! I really stepped in it ! Well In my defense he didn't look a day over 20 but he sure had that procedure down pat! I've got to hand it to them all, everything went very quick and I felt no pain never saw an uh-oh look and was out of there with no bleeding in just a very short time. Maybe I was wrong for once. :eek:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok Forrest, The Big Weekend is over, you can resume trout fishing in between flounder trips!:p:D You lucky Devil! Tell the wife we want to see a picture of her...Holding the biggest doormat she can lift.:)
OK--- So I gave the trout another chance this morning-- only kept two for supper.

Sunday morning the Good Wife had a big drum on out in Old Drum Inlet. He had taken about 200 yards off reel and she had just got him turned around when a boatload of Dit Dots came in from the ocean. We did everyyhing except fire a flare to get their attention--Ran right into her line and cut fish off --didn't even slow down--just as well -- she was looking for a 6 oz sinker.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Now that would have been a site. her throwing that weight.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If at all possible, I'd appreciate a copy of the Minced Drum Stew. I cook alot and am always ready to read a recipe or try one.
I have a collection of area cookbooks. None on them list a recipe for minced drum. I will try to get and put in the recipe section when I get it. It's one of the old down east staples and younger generation is not much into it. It's served with corn meal dumplings. I just catch and clean the drum, give it to one of my neighbors who is 86 years old. Then wander into her house at supper time when I smell it cooking.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.