NC Angler Forums banner

Jackson Cuda/Slayer

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  zacharyc 
#1 ·
I've narrowed down my two kayak preferences to a 14-foot Cuda or Slayer. For those who own either, I'm interested to learn what you think about them? I'm in the market...still..and cannot find a seller in the Hampstead/Wilmington/Jax area who has one that I want. If anyone has one they are willing to sell, I have cash in hand, so feel free to send me a PM. Or, if you have another 14-foot SOT fishing kayak, I'm all ears.

Need to get out on the water soon to scratch my topwater drum itch!

#2 ·
I have a 14 foot Cuda. It is a good boat, with great features. It tracks well, is fairly stable and being able to stick a 7' rod in the center hatch is awesome. I spend more time inshore, though, and only use it when I go to the coast.

The main complaint is that it is a bit heavy. If I was going to buy again, today, I'd probably opt for a Cuda LT instead, but that wasn't available when I picked up my rig. They just had the 14 and 12, and the weight savings on the 12 didn't justify the shorter length.

The LT saves about 17 pounds. Since I have to do an overhead press to get it on my vehicle, that much matters at the end of the day.

#5 ·
Charlotte is a bit too far for me, but thank you! Hoping for something in the Wilm/Hampstead/Jax areas.

Brett, thanks for the insight I wasn't aware of an LT version. I kayak fish inshore almost exclusively. Occasionally I go off the beach for spanish when I've got company. Cuda is a good boat I always hear great things about them.

#6 ·
If you aren't paddling really long distances, the LT would probably be fine off of the beach, too. I'm seriously torn if I want to put my 14 up for sale and get an LT or just go the other direction, save my pennies and get a Hobie PA and a trailer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.