NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Jackson Kayak Owners....I need some help please....

I just bought a Lowrance Elite 4-HDI for my Jackson Cruise 12 Angler. This Yak comes with the Pre-Drilled holes that the 1.5" Ram Ball screws into. What model of the Ram Transducer Arm do I need that fits the 1.5" Ram Ball.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have my yak and boat wired for my Dragonfly so I can swap the head back and forth. On my BigRig I have the wire coming up through that scupper hole. I have a fitting at the front of the foot well that goes into the belly. (Get in my belly). anyway. I have my battery mounted in the belly and then another fitting in the right foot well where the cable comes out to connect to the unit. I have a 1.5" ram ball mount that fits in the track. I got the ram mount post and another 1.5" ball that connects to the base of the unit.

There is a scupper mount kit that should work for about any transducer. It's a plug with elastic that loops through the transducer mount holes. Pull the elastic tight.

I will post a couple pictures tomorrow.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Mikeski. The cruise hull doesn't support a transducer in the Scupper it will protrud from the bottom
I stand corrected. Yup, I checked out the regular cruise the wife paddles and there is no room. The front scuppers on my BigRig have extra space. I figured the cruise fishing version would have had a scupper adjustment. Well, I will have to rethink that one as a second for me.

The BR is a beast. On the lake, as long as it's not to windy, it's a Cadillac. Throw in a stiff breeze and some inter-coastal waves and the beast comes out.

mikeski

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm in a similar place as you; I just got a new Cuda 12 and am thinking about how to mount the transducer for my Humminbird 598. I looked at one of those adjustable transducer arm units at Great Outdoors the other day, and it looks like it's basically a bracket, an aluminum rod that is stiff enough to hold the transducer but thin enough to bend, and a piece of flexible hose. $45 seems like a lot of money for that; in the spirit of kayak jury rigging I'm thinking about trying to make my own version. I can get aluminum rods and flexible hose at Lowe's, and making a bracket shouldn't be too hard. Then, yesterday, I happened to be taking a shower (I do it occasionally), and suddenly noticed the shower hose - stainless steel, flexible, with some bulk to it. Hmmm....maybe a flexible transducer arm based on a flexible shower hose? Would certainly seem to fit with kayak fishing. Anyway, that's as far as I've gotten, but just wanted to give you that thought in case you're interested in trying to build your own.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just ordered it from Amazon...I'm still wanting to install a Lean/Stand-up Bar for my Cruise 12 Angler. I got the how to and what parts I need from Brodie (Jackson Team Member) but I wish he would've did a YouTube Video, I don't wanna drill unnecessary holes in my Yak

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
assemble the bar set it on the kayak mark it then mount it no need for extra holes .. I have used a small piece of 1/8" x2" flat aluminum to mount transducer on used a wing nut on top it worked well from Lowe's about $8 in materials just bent to fit and cut to length . It was actually less drag and quieter than the ram arm . Just not as adjustable. The adjustments are useful when you are in a rocky section of river or mats of grass and you want to pull it out for a min and still fish . So stuff doesn't hit it or hang on it

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just ordered my sonar, a RAM arm, and the RAM head unit base. I have mighty mounts behind my seat (where the flush rod holders are at usually) and geartrac on either side in front of seat. I haven't received my stuff yet but doing some thinking, I think I will mount the screwball for the arm behind me on the right, run my transducer cable up and into my milk crate behind me where I'll store the battery. Then out and under my seat with the cable to power head unit. The ram mount for the head unit also utilizes a screwball which I'll mount front left. By doing this, the only exposed cable should be the head unit cable running from the battery to the head unit coming from under the seat to the geartrac. That way I don't have to drill on my yak. And the small amount of exposed cable I think I can live with. Anyways, all that said I don't think the arm is meant for a 1.5 inch ball. But they sale the 1 inch ball with diamond plate. That may be the one you need.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I installed one on my Commander 120. One word of advice: you get, really, one shot to bend the transducer support arm into its curved position. Don't bend it until you know exactly where in the aluminum you want to create the bend. If you bend it too far down the tube, it will have less of an "L" shape than you may like, and not extended below the waterline as much. Just my two nickels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.