NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for another fishing yak...again. I've owned a Wilderness Systems Tarpon, Native Manta Ray 12, and a Heritage Redfish 14.

The Redfish 14 was by far my favorite of the 3 for stability, tracking, speed, and just all around usability. That said, I'm really interested in trying to find a used or new Jackson Cuda 14. Love the design, and was wondering if anyone has one, what are the pros and cons of it? I'm an aggressive inshore paddler, I cover many miles, and my next yak needs to track well, prefer 14 feet at least.

Although I'd love to have a Cuda, I have not been able to locate any dealers in the Wilmington/Hampstead area. I've also seen some decent deals on a couple of Malibu's on CL, but not sure if it looks as comfortable seating-wise as a Cuda.

Basically I'm wondering if any Malibu or Cuda owners have any insight into what they like about their set-ups? Also, if anyone has a used Jackson Cuda 14 they'd like to sell, let me know! I need a yak with rod holders, that's pretty much it. I've kept all of my gear, paddles, etc from before...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've got a malibu stealth and love it. course i'm a bigger guy to. mine tracks very good just not as fast as the cuda. my buddy has a cuda and i used his couple times. i will say more comfortable seating in cuda..
Thanks for the insight. I'm about 6'1, 200 lbs, so I'm looking for something thats comfortable and tracks well too. I do like the looks of the seating in the cuda.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Every fishing kayak I have owned, did not have the raised seat. While it looks comfortable, I do see how it might not be as stable. My friend has a slayer and he paddles with the seat in the high position, but it looks kind of sketchy at times.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
When paddling and such I keep the seat low. I fish low often also. But that little change in height makes a difference in comfort as your body sits different between the two. The seat back is also adjustable so you can sit upright or leaning back.

mikeski

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I believe they are great people at great outdoor and you would get great customer service. That said. You will pay full retail price. After looking online a bit I looked up a kayak that has caught my eye before. The Moken 14. It has the features I love in a yak. No lawn chair seat but thick comfortable low seat. Huge tankwell, and a rod pod. They also have a ton of cool colors. One that's military gray that I think looks sick. Also its not high priced. My kayak came from these people as well as 2 paddles and a pfd. Never had a problem. Free shipping on yaks. http://www.austinkayak.com/products/10271/Feelfree-Moken-14-Angler-Kayak.html

·
Registered
315 Posts
Love my Cuda!!! Stable, FAST!!, and tracks great. Was thinking about putting a rudder on it but now I don't think it needs one. Saw someone say something about the stability with the seat in the high position. At first I felt like I was going to fall out. Now I'll lean over just about as far as I want. Once you learn its secondary stability, you will be comfortable. Honestly I haven't even come close to dumping it. When the water warms I'm gonna see just how far I can push it. If your near New Bern, your MORE then welcome to try it out. I can say I wouldn't trade it for anything but a Hobie PA 14. For a paddle boat, I'd say it's the best and most comfortable.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't provide you with any insight on either kayak but will comment on your saying that all you needed were rod holders. Don't let the lack of rod holders be a deal breaker. In fact, you could save quite a bit of money by buying without rod holders and installing them yourself. It's easy to do and is very inexpensive.
This is true, I installed the holders on my previous 2 yaks. Definitely not a deal breaker for me, would just be nice if they're already in it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I believe they are great people at great outdoor and you would get great customer service. That said. You will pay full retail price. After looking online a bit I looked up a kayak that has caught my eye before. The Moken 14. It has the features I love in a yak. No lawn chair seat but thick comfortable low seat. Huge tankwell, and a rod pod. They also have a ton of cool colors. One that's military gray that I think looks sick. Also its not high priced. My kayak came from these people as well as 2 paddles and a pfd. Never had a problem. Free shipping on yaks. http://www.austinkayak.com/products/10271/Feelfree-Moken-14-Angler-Kayak.html
You are like the 4th person I've heard mention a Moken. I'm going to have to look more closely at those. I actually loved the seat of my Manta Ray, had plenty of cushion, suited my aggressive paddling style. But the Manta Ray did not track well for me, and in my opinion, felt heavy for a 12-foot yak. Moken is definitely an option now.

·
Registered
301 Posts
RE: Moken seat. Seating was my primary concern with a yak. I have done 10 hours in mine so far and my knees were more sore than my butt. Awesome seat which you can actually use in any kayak (its got the 4 point attachment)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Love my Cuda!!! Stable, FAST!!, and tracks great. Was thinking about putting a rudder on it but now I don't think it needs one. Saw someone say something about the stability with the seat in the high position. At first I felt like I was going to fall out. Now I'll lean over just about as far as I want. Once you learn its secondary stability, you will be comfortable. Honestly I haven't even come close to dumping it. When the water warms I'm gonna see just how far I can push it. If your near New Bern, your MORE then welcome to try it out. I can say I wouldn't trade it for anything but a Hobie PA 14. For a paddle boat, I'd say it's the best and most comfortable.
This is what I've heard time and again about Cudas. Fast and stable-which is exactly what I'm looking for. I had an incredible "no dumping" streak with my previous yaks...then I dumped a Tarpon in about 8 feet of water (slack tide thankfully) and had to make a few dives to get my glasses, gatorade, leatherman, etc..haha I primarily fish inshore creeks waterways in Hampstead/sneeds ferry, but I have friends in New Bern I'm down that way time to time.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.