NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm about to move down to Jacksonville around the middle of May. I was wondering what tackle I should prepare myself with before I get down there. I have never experienced the sport fishing down there so I dont know what to expect/prepeare for. I used to live in Savannah, GA so I have done shrimp fishing with cast nets and crab traps for crab but I was wondeting if there was anything of the sorts down in Jacksonville. also what size rod and line weight would make for a good all around pole to use dwon around JAcksonville. Thanks in advance for the tips.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
gsxunv04, good to have you on the site with us, you know in Jacksonville you can fish for bass, or reds, you have the best of both worlds, what kind of fishing tackle do you have know? Chris

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome aboard NC Angler!

Like TC said, there is a good variety of fishing in and around Jacksonville. Bass and catfish in town with some specks and flounder thrown in. Head down the New River or up into some for the creeks off the river and you are in prime puppy drum territory. If you want to venture down to the coast, there is great surf fishing, pier fishing and even some nice wade fishing available.

If you already have tackle, you can probably find a use for what ever you have. Otherwise you might want to wait till you get here and shop locally as they will have the tackle most often used in these parts.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
anything that you have now you can use in Jacksonville. If you have bass tackle, rods. reels, and lures you can use those same ones for drum.

With just a few light modificaitons of lines and rigs you would be set up for trout and flounder.

Unless you plan on going out for the really big game on your own, you won't need any of that tackle. If you go with someone else usually they will have enough gear for you.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well thanks everybody, i have an ugly stick with shimano ballbearing reel and "invisble" 10lb test line that i use for lake fishing, i plan on using this rod, sound good? i have various rapala lures but im not sure if those would be appropriate for ICW fishing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have been in J-ville for the past 8 years, give or take a few deployments and 10 months in 29 palms. Your setup sounds good. I would start with a cast net, fish some mullet and shrimp until you get a good feel for what the fish are doing. Artificial wise, I would go with some 1/8 oz. jig heads and some saltwater bass assasins of course a few mirro lures have never hurt. Some good places to start are southwest creek, french and duck creek. If you are stuck on land, try by the highrise bridge going from base to sneads ferry for flounder. The finger sticking out by the Officers club on new river is good for drum and trout. There is also a few piers/docks on the air station that you can catch a variety off of. If freshwater is your thing, there are multiple ponds between Lejeune and the Air Station that you can catch bass/bream and cats out of. I am leaving the area soon for recruiting duty but will help you out all that I can. There are many good people in the area that are willing to show you around. Good luck to you
Jeremy

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
jeremy.......those are all some good spot for him to fish

I like the rock jetty by the "O" club for topwater casting since that area is so shallow always a nice school of fish and bait in the area.

The pier by the SDNCO club is where I usually put my boat in, sometimes I go to the marina at the back but usually here. This is where I catch 90 percent of my bait right before I take off for drum or trout.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
YOUR ROD SOUNDS FINE BUT DOWN HERE I WOULD UP GRADE THE MONO TO POWER PRO SINCE YA NEVER KNOW WHAT YOUR GONNA GET INTO,YOU CAN STILL USE MONO LEADERS WITH THE POWER PRO AND SINCE I SWITCHED 2 YEARS AGO ILL NEVER GO BACK TO MONO.
IF YOU WANT A REALLY CHEAP BUT DEPENDABLE SET UP DUDLEY'S MARINA HAS DIAWA D SHOCKS AND SWEEP FIRES FOR 20 BUCKS ROD AND REEL AND THEY HAVE STOOD UP AGAINST EVERY THING IVE THROWN AT THEM INCLUDING BULL DRUM ;)
IF YOU KNOW WHERE RAINTREE ESTATES ARE THERE IS SOME REALLY GOOD FISHING BEHIND THERE FOR CATS,BRIM,BASS,BOWFIN AND GAR AS WELL AS OTHER FISH LIKE PICKEREL

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
482 Posts
Inexpensive Daiwa spinning combos or just the rods or reels. Usually anywhere from 10-15$ seperate or 20-30 for the combos depending where you buy em. They are a little whippy for me but if they can hold up to the NCPiermans fish spanking
they must be allright.

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you want some real fishing right about now, take the short drive thru cedar point and got to BIP( bogue inlet pier) i was up there a week ago and inbetween the schools of mantas coming in to breed, the blues are biting great early on in the day. I caught 20 one morning.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice, thanks for the advice guys. Im heading down to Jacksonville on the 19th of May. Once I get settled in Im gonna go hit the water and bust some jaws(hopefully). Wheres the nearest fishing pier to Jacksonville?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Seaview Pier at North Topsail
Near there is also the Surf City Pier where we will have out Bucket Brigade pier fishing event on May 31st Come on out if you can!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Most recently there are 2 gill nets about 100 yards long a piece on each side of the rock jetty behiond the o club on new river, and about 3 more goin up under the bridge. Thats all I have to say.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nice im gonna try and find that jetty asap. How would I get there from Marine Blvd.? Also would you recommend shrimp/squid or a different cut bait or have you had luck with lures? I was just planning on using a gulf rig with shrimp/squid and was wondering if this setup would be adequate/ideal for this areas fishing. Thanks once again for all the tips.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.