NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be down that way with the wife and kiddos for a couple days. Are there any cool things for kids outside of the sea turtle hospital and the aquarium? Im looking for local knowledge type stuff?

Gene - Red > < - Asheboro

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I don't know if you are interested in heading to Wilmington (I live in the north part of Hampstead and hate going to Wilmington). That being said there is THEE MOST interesting place to go imo. That is the Cape fear serpentarium. It was built by a long time herpentoligist "Dean Ripa" as an off shoot to his venom collection business. It has the most incredible collection of venomous snakes, pythons, boas and alligators. It was designed and built by the craftsman from the movie studio and it is absolutely top notch. I highly recommend anyone and everyone go to this place. It is amazing. http://www.capefearserpentarium.com/

Galaxy S4. Slimkat 4.4.2 official.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My kids have always enjoyed sitting up near the river and watching all the action over on the base. If you're going to Wilmington a trip to the USS North Carolina is always good to pass some time. Also, if you're in that area there is a REALLY good Mexican joint in Wrightsville Beach.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I got the impression that when wilykyote asked "what's it called?", he was referring to the "REALLY good Mexican joint", not the "sitting near the river". Can we get a ruling here?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I assume he means the name of the Mexican joint, too, and in all honesty I can't remember. It's right after you cross over the bridge, when the main road turns to the left at the stop light. The restaurant is on the right, just on the other side of the light. There's a Wings, or some other crappy souvenir shop caddy-corner to it.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
That isn't a cappy souvenir shop. Unless I am mistaking your direction that store is, "Redix".
It's almost a land mark and has been on WB for many decades.
Locally owned for all this time as well.

Galaxy S4. Slimkat 4.4.2 official.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I could be wrong (it was bound to happen eventually, right?). It is showing up as a Wings on Google Maps, though. The name of the restaurant is Cafe Del Mar, it's at the corner of Stone St. and Causeway Dr.

I'm not real familiar with WB, I think I've only been there twice in my life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.