NC Angler Forums banner

Jet Powered Kayak! No, really.......

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  kayakingglenn 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I watched the first minute or so -- will catch more later...

"Powered by the world's flattest two-stroke motor" -- how does 'two-stroke' fit with "jet"? "Stroke" refers to a piston in a cylinder turning a crankshaft, but "jet" refers to a turbine-oriented combustion chamber. They're two completely different technologies.

#4 ·
What we have here is a jet ski engine and lower (jet) unit. Its called a jet be cause it has an impeller instead of a propeller. If you noticed when the action began the video was a series of stills, put together to make everything look very fast. Technically this is not a jet anymore than a jet ski is. Hate to rain on a parade. The video is entertainment, thats all.:eek:

#5 ·
nope, never got close enough to a jetski to see under the hood.

"Jet" doesn't mean "impeller-driven", in this case, does it? It seems like it would have been easier to have categorized the propulsion systems as "inboard", "outboard", and "impeller", rather than to take a word with a perfectly good definition and apply it to something very much different.

(Kinda like "organic" food. In Chem 101 you learned that "organic" means "contains carbon". Now it means "the marketing department wants you to think it's more healthful".)

#6 ·
I think a definition for "jet engine" is in order at this point :
Wikipedia said:
A jet engine is an engine that discharges a fast moving jet of fluid to generate thrust in accordance with Newton's third law of motion. This broad definition of jet engines includes turbojets, turbofans, rockets, ramjets, pulse jets and pump-jets, but in common usage, the term generally refers to a gas turbine Brayton cycle engine used to produce a jet of high speed exhaust gases specifically for propulsive purposes. Jet engines are so familiar to the modern world that gas turbines are sometimes mistakenly referred to as a particular application of a jet engine, rather than the other way around.
So by the purist version of the definition a jet ski is just that, jet propelled. So is this Kayak application.

#9 ·
Technically, I believe that you would call this what is commonly referred to as jet drive. Which is the same propulsion used on Jet Ski. More over this type of set up has been commercially available for a few years now. Mokai of Newburgh Ny has been producing what they call a jet propelled Sport Boat. It won't send you down the lake at break neck speed but with a 6hp 4 stroke Honda engine it can move you along the shoreline at a respectable 15mph. If you want to drop $3500 here's the website. Mokai Manufacturing Inc.

#10 ·
Well I'll jump in here and stick my 2 cents worth in. I used to work on the electronic systems for a remote controlled jet engine powered drone. The engine weighed 29 lbs and would fit in and power a kayak. According to my best swag, aprox 80 knots would be achievable provided you could steer it and keep it in the water. It would push a drone at around 450 knots. Yep it was a real JP5 burner. It spit out hot air instead of water. Now if you attached the little JATO bottles that we used with it to said Kayak, it would fly....can you say GO AIRBORNE!!!:D

#11 ·
Sorry for derailing the thread... Yeah I'm an engineer. :eek:

So much for another perfectly good word. Sigh.

So back to the kayak -- I didn't see any rod-holders on that boat... I wonder what he trolls for at that speed.

#16 ·
Gee Lefty.........look what you went and started. I don't have anything to worry about. My degree is not in engineering. Many times I've been told that I went to see the wrong guidance counselor in high school.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.