NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone who fly fishes tried this method I read about the other day. Using a fly rod, floating fly line and straight mono leader, tie on a jig that resembles a saltwater gotcha or clouser, then place a strike indicator at the desired depth. This allows you to fish it slowly, make adjustments in depth, and as you drift, the action is a pulsating flash that attracts Crappie, Bass, Stripers, and Perch. Any comments?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Sounds like something to try. I'm going to try my fly rod the next time out at the little pond I go to.

Reactions: Slowriser

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of using it for Crappie. I have a couple of "OLD" cheat Eagle Claw rods that are just collecting dust. The jigs are made with jig hooks 1/16 or 1/32 with a little lead free wire towards the front, and tied with the same materials you would use for saltwater flies. I've been tying a few with all the wind and change in temps, it is hard to get out to fish. Tying helps pass the time. Checking, cleaning, and stocking tackle boxes, and an occassional session with the MONKEY.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Have done something similar without the strike indicator (they just seem like cheating to me) fishing for shad on the Cape Fear River. Used a small minnow pattern (1/32 I think) with floating line and a 10 lb leader around 9' long on my 5 weight rod. Didn't have a whole lot of luck but sure was fun.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that the strike indicator is used in this case because there may be multiple lines out. In that situation, a bite might occur while your head is turned, and it is a fast way to see that there is a fish on. Probably wouldn't be necessary using only one rig. Thanks for the input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.