NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

This is my first posting, please, advice on where are some HOT spots for on - shore fishing Jodran Lake and/or Falls Lake areas. I live in Raleigh, NC.

I care for catfish , but would not mind anything that comes along...

Also, I am very new to the fishing, and want to learn more about it : all advices are welcome and greatly appreciated!!

I hope to get some info ASAP - don't want the "fishing " season to be over with ... LOL...

PS. I have an elder family member with me that likes to fish - that is why I am looking for the on-shore spots.

Thanks.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
First of all Nutty, welcome to the party!!! I havent fished Jordan but some basic info applies to all bodies of fresh water and I do love to catch Catfish.
To start very simple, bottom fishing is best. A basic 2 hok bottom rig is good to start with. Use as little weight as possible to keep it on the bottom. In a lake like Jordan I'd say in most places 1 oz is plenty with nightcrawlers, chicken livers, cut bream/perch, live/dead minnows and even good clean fresh shrimp (yes it works great in fresh water too) for bait but you may use 2-3 oz for deeper or moving water or to get the maximum cast distance if your trying to reach a deep channel from shore. Use the teardrop shaped sinkers for less hangups on the bottom.
I like a #2 or as large as a 2/0 size Aberdeen hook (the gold ones that look like fine wire) They hold well but if you get hung up on the hook tip and pull slowly you can often bend the hook and set the rig free. Then you can just straighten the hook, or replace it but always make sure it is good and sharp! I have use treble hooks also but they hang up worse.
If you want to use a bobber, you need to keep the bait near the bottom. Channel cats will come up for bait and feed off the bottom especially for live baits. Flatheads/Mudcats prefer bottom forage and things that stink or are bloddy. Bluecats will favor different levels and different things at different times but fresh is best and bottom or just off bottom is a good bet. Nice thing about fresh baits and catfishing is the likelyhood of catching Stirpers and Largemouth bass as well!! Stinky baits catch cats but draw turtles, eels(eels are great cut bait!) and junk fish like bowfin but they are fun to fight!..
I'll be happy to answer any questions or go more in-depth if you need anything...
It is nice that you take time with the elders of your family.. we will all be elders someday!!

Reactions: Nuttygirl

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear Sundrop,

Thanks so much for your kind response to my posting, you sound like a kind and caring person. Yes, my mother had a stroke a few years back, and things are not the same. She used to be a very active person, travelling, cruising, walking a lot... Stroke is silent and very dengerous disease and it affected all of us. Now, we still try to do things we like, but with "some" accomodations in regards to the walking and mobility...Of course, this limmits the choices of what we CAN do.. And we love to fish.

I did not realize that fishing is an art and one need to know so much about it before you try to cath any fish , smile. I the past, I did it the "old" fashion way - pole and worms, and it worked ok. Now, looking around, there are so many reels, rods, poles, just name it... By the way, what is the best for cats : reel,rod, pole, sorry for ignorence, and what are you looking for in rod when getting one?

Thank you again kindly, I sincerely apreciate your help,
Nutty.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
A cane pole and worms, crickets etc is just fine in some places. An elderly person may prefer that method and it is just as effective as ever. I would suggest that for the most part smaller bodies of water such as farm ponds and creeks would be a better place in the situation you are in. Reservoirs and big rivers usually mean that the fish have more room to find a comfortable place with adequate food nearby. One type location that is quite often productive is around marina docks. Sometimes fishing is allowed on them and sometimes not. Some of the folks that live and fish up that way might be able to name a few that would be good for your situation. One good part about marinas is that the parking is near the fishing location and the traveling to and from is much easier. Also you have a level place for a fold up or roll up chair. During hot weather fishing these areas at night can be more comfortable and sometimes much more productive. (especially under lights) You might be safer if you have at least 3 people along at night. A big ol neanderthal looking guy is usually plenty of deterent against any monkey buisness from the wrong element.;)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I know their is at least one fishing pier on Falls lake. I think it is the Beaver Dam Park or that may be called the Hwy 50 launch I can't remember. Maybe our member Rangergreg will chime in or you can private message him.he is a Ranger on Falls. It is handicapable accessible and well lit but closes at dusk so it will be daytime only. I used to fish there when I lived up that way and caught some nice crappie and cats there before I had access to a boat.
As far as equipment there's nothing wrong with a good old pole but to keep it simple and have the ability to cover more water a nice Zebco 33 combo is easy to use and well made for a fair price. Walmart sells them spooled with decent line and ready to use.
By the way.. Thanks for the compliment..:D I try to help where I can.. I have parents who are getting older and the medical issues are become more and more apparent. My Mom loves to fish. My Dad loves to turn wrenches and build things (guess that's why I love both..LOL) and both are getting to a point in their lives where it is becoming more difficult, so now it is my turn to take care of them...

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Whether you are use a pole or a rod and reel the terminal tackle remains basically the same. If you want to keep it real simple; I would suggest using a #4 aberdeen hook. They are made of fine wire so that if you become hung on the bottom you can straighten the hook enough for it to come free. They are long shanked so that you will not have as hard of a time unhooking fish. They are sort of a compromise though....I normally use a #6 for brim and a #2 for smaller cats. A small bag of 1/16 oz split shot should take care of any weights for a cane pole but 1/8 would be better for a Zebco 33 or simlar reel. There are several good lines on the market but I would recommend 10LB test Stren Original as it doesn't have as much tendancy to retain coils and is easier to see. It will work good on a Zebco 33 or Zebco 20/20 as well as a cane pole.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
There's also the Community Fishing Program -- the Wildlife Commission stocks several area lakes (I'm calling to mind Shelley Lake in Raleigh and Bond lake in Cary) and provides loaner tackle -- the only catch is that you need to mail in a sign-up form and wait for a card to come back. Bond lake has a boardwalk from which you can fish, and they stock cats there. You can of course also catch lots of bream and other panfish, and an occasional bass or carp.

Jordan has a large T-dock at Bell's Church - one mile north of US64, hang a right at the Wilsonville General Store, the dock is caddy-corner across the bridge from Crosswinds Marina. I've seen it get crowded at nightfall in March, when the lights were coming on and the crappie fishermen were moving in -- so there must be times and seasons when the fishing's worthwhile there. But the biggest thing I've seen going for that dock has been its accessibility and comfort level. It's got a good railing all around and lots of room. It can get a little unclean at times -- sometimes the crowd are not as good housekeepers as one would like.

Hope it helps
Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waw, guys, thanks so much, you are all such a big help!

I have stoped by the Bond Lake today in Cary - what a great place for fishin' ! - the area is accessable, easy to get to, close to home, and most of all, defenately looking like for cats - water is muddy just like they like it :)

Also, there is planty space for resting, seating, walking , picnics and whatever your heart is desiring to do...I saw some family with kids feeding the ducks, and I have spoke to the manager of the vending store - looks like a nice area for fishing.

Lefty,
I did not know that Bond lake is part of the program, sounds like a great program - I will check out more about it online. Also, I will look into the directions to Jordan's lake T-dock . That would be my next project. Thanks a lot for the info.

Sundrop and Sinker Man,
Thanks guys for your info - I will go to W.Mart and check out their fishing equipment in depth. This is "my " store, you can't go wrong with it..

Sundrop, just wanted to add something in regards to your posting above..
Most of us are forgetting that little things are ones that make us big people; and by helping and appreciating each other every day we are helping ourselves to be stronger and better...

I will keep everyone posted on my news, take care.
Nuttygirl.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Jodran Lake: offshore fishin' for newbie ;

My "Walmart" to buy list:

- Zebco 33 fishing combo

- #2 , possible larger Aberdeen hooks

- Stren Original Line

- a pole ( in addition to above)

- bite: undecided yet? - PS - Something stinky? LOL

- worms ( always a good start for fishing)

Please, add anything I missed or need more to my fishing list,

Thanks !!!!
Nutty.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
The 33 combo will come spooled with either Stren or Trilene line. That's good to get you started.. Worms, chicken livers will be easiest to get and work great for cats. Good luck on your new experiences!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dear all,
Reporting on my first fishing trip from this w/end ( Bond Lake , Cary).
It was nice, middle 80s temp, slightly windy, but great weather for fishing , overall.
I take back everything I said before about " how nice it is to have a lake in the family park..." - lots of commotions, kids, dogs, and NOISE!!!!

I have enjoyed myself and my mother had a great time at the lake - we caught 3 small panfishes and that was all for the first time around. Unfortunately, I spent most of my time fixing the line and watching my reel to make sure I don't get hooked to the trees or anything else close to the water... I have lost a few small fishes, I guess, I need to learn how to cast appropriately... I used Zebco 33, and my mother used the stick ( pole, cane, whatever you call it, smile).
I still have to learn how to cast with reel because my line was so flexible and flying around and I had a hard time to keep it tide and nice while pulling back... Fishing is an art and I am going to get it! LOL

The nice thing about it that I am defenately coming back this week - I am determine to make some progress - was using worms - looks like it was the "choice award " by small fishes...

I still hoping to catch my big mama-catfish, at least 10 pounds BIG! - I know, 10 pounds is a baby for you all, but for me - it is a great catch LOL!

Anyway, I thought, I let you all know that I have made my first step and excited!
No more goings on the w/end, only during the week while park is somewhat empty.

Later,
Nuttygirl

PS> GOT TIPS ON CATS? ;-)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Glad to hear the first trip went well. Keep trying, casting gets easier with time. making sure you have enough weight on the line helps too. Are you using a bobber or bottom fishing?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
For knot instructions I like this site. knots
The Palomar knot is the easiest to learn and is very strong.
With most spincast reels if the line isn't tight when you start to reel; the line pickup pins will not catch the line. Just give the line a tug with your left forefinger as you start to reel. You have to be holding the rod directly under the front half of the reel for this to work. Some people grip the line between the index finger and thumb while holding onto the rod with the other 3 fingers of the left hand. This is just to get the reel started. Once the line is coming in you can let go of the line.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The line has to be tight when you start reeling or it usually wont pick up the line to wind it on. They use tiny ceramic pins less than 1/8 " long to grab the line. These pins are located on a rotor at the front of the lip of the spool. They retract when the button is pushed in and pop back out when you start to reel. If you hold the rod right under the front half of the reel you can reach up with your thumb and forefinger an give the line a slight tug as you start to reel. This will pull the line tight enough to cause the pins to pick up the line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sundrop,
Most likely, this is my problem, I don't keep enough weight on my line... I need to work on it... I do use a bobber...- Bottom fishing ? Sorry, not sure about this one - how does it work?
My grandfather used to fish when he was alive, I believe, the bottom fishing would be better for catching catfish, since it likes to stay low, right?
I remember that my grandfather used small bells while catching fish, and the line of his reel was very tide while awaiting for the fish to bite. This was so long ago, but I think I am not confused - he also used dough for fishing - this is how it was way back. Not sure if it was the bottom fishing, but his line looked nice and tide and it looked triangular once landing in water. It looked like what you are describing the " bottom" fishing to me..
I don't think people use bells any longer for reels - at least, I did not see anyone doing it.

My bobbers are looking funny , sometimes, may be because Bond Lake is shallow, and the bobber needs to be placed lower on the line?

Sinker Man,

Thanks for the knot graphics - they like to me. Palomar knot is looking much easier and stronger, I will try to use it the next time around. As far as directions for the line itself and casting, there are still some gray areas - lots to learn, I think I understand the techniques, it is a matter of using it and getting the " feeling" of it.. I have red your posting a few times, and I believe I "got" the picture - again, I just need some time to practice the move. Thank you. Any advices are great, especially from expert-catchers :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW:
Got some crawlers at W/Mart, and they are so FAT! About finger thick!
I remember fishing sometimes ago in Florida, and the local store had some skinny worms and they were wiggly and easy to deal with..
These FAT worms looking like some mini snakes from the pre-historical era - and to place them on the hook ( I was trying to be strong - yet it was very creepy) takes some piece of art, smile. I am sure, once I learn how to cast appropriately, my catfish would LOVE the size of them, LOL.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nightcrawler are what you were using. Great for cats. Red Wigglers are the little wiggly ones you have seen.. Great for everything! Bobber will lay on it's side if you are using too little weight or if you are touching the bottom. Are you using little split shot weights just above the hook on the line? YOu can use less or more as needed to make your bovver stand up so you can judge depth better. Move the bobber up and down the line to adjust depth because fish can be very depth oriented due to varying water \ weather conditions and species of fish.
Bottom fishing does use heavier weights and a tight line. People still use bells if they have alot of rods in the water or don't want to pay close attention to their rods. Since it is all new to you I recommend you buy the simple 2 hook bottom rigs from walmart and attach a 1 oz sinker to the bottom of the rig. Nightcrawlers are fine bait and if you wish they sell all kinds of dough bait but I think the crawlers and wigglers will do fine for now. Dont try to accomplish too much too soon or you can get discouraged.
Have you read my begginers blog yet? http://www.ncangler.com/forums/blogs/fishing-101-a-beginners-guide/

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
For casting tips:

You can use a 1/8th ounce sinker, 1/4-1/2 oz. and so forth. Just tie or place on end of line and set up a bucket or whatever target you would like and practice casting to it.

Different weights will allow you to see how much or little you need to "zing".

Can also use stuff like house back deck or something over hanging to practice casting under.. so when you hit the lake/pond/whatever.. you have practiced enough to feel confident throwing a lure under structure, at a target area, ect...

It's a great and safe way to help kids starting out the priniciple of casting too.

Dont feel bad... I can pretty much vouch for everyone here,, we've "hung" a lure up in trees, bushes, grasses, docks, pylings... one time or another and every now an then no matter seasoned vet or not! ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.