NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know a thing about gas engines let alone marine outboards, but my 175 Johnson is having some issues and is like to see if anyone has any tips. I do all my Diesel engine mech myself, learning as I go, so this isn't going to a shop for a fixing!

Basically the last two trips I've had my motor will start up great , run great for a while, then out of the blue I'll go to start up and run to a new hole and it'll start and then die as I throttle up.

It'll start fine then putter out after I give it throttle or just die after a few seconds... I've noticed pumping the fuel ball up sometimes remedies it, sometimes I have to start it and just slam the throttle and it'll plane out and run fine... It seems like a fuel delivery issue of some kind. Do these outboards have an electric fuel pump that might be going out? Or is there anything else y'all would look at first to diagnose?

Once the engine is running above idle, the problem goes away and runs great. And again this only happens every so often, but I want to fix it now so I don't get stranded, can't justify a seatow membership when I only fish the river, but I really don't want to have to make Breadman return a favor and tow me back! Haha

Also- I believe this is unrelated completely but I'm not 100% . I've had a starter go out before on an old 75hp Johnson so I know the starter not engaging sound all too well. Sometimes, during my attempts to start and keep the motor running I'll get that starter not engaging sound where the engine doesn't crank but I get a high speed whine. As I said thus only happens one out of 5 times I crank it, so I doubt it's related, I think the starter actuator is just on the way

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Sounds like a weak fuel bulb or the fuel pump diaphragm is failing. Once you get off idle you are compensating with more engine vacuum, Can be the o-ring in the coupler where the fuel line plugs into the outboard also seeping, pulling a little air. Check all of your fuel connections, pump the fuel bulb with engine off and see if it ever gets firm and stays that way. Make sure your tank vent is clear also. 2 stroke or 4?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 stroke, I'll check again later but pretty sure with the engine off it firmed up (I usually pump it up before initial crank of the day and I don't remember it ever giving me problems... However, I do this because after sitting a while (even a few hours while fishing) the ball looses firmness- don't know if that's normal or not .

Also when you refer to fuel pump, are you talking the fuel ball or is there an electric or mechanical fuel pump in the outboard?

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Give BigE's idea a shot. I think you have that expensive VRO pump combination on yours. What year is it? Run a can of Seafoam cleaner in the tank it too. 1/2 tank of gas or less is best

Reactions: BigE818

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mine had the same issues in the past. There was three parts to the remedy. 1. If you have an aftermarket bulb throw it in the trash and get a johnson brand. 2. Mine would rarely idle for any period of time. I found out last year after a serious over oiling issue that something was wrong with the vro. I was fed up after that . I capped off the vro, took out the oil tank and started pre mixing. Ran great for a while but would still have idle issues sometimes. I bought the fuel pump rebuild parts and it runs better than it ever has.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It's a 2001 year model. I'll have to try big e's idea the fuel filter is due for replacement anyways. I hope Wally World has some because all the local marine shops are closed for the night and I'm back out tomorrow

Also I pumped up the ball until firm , and after an hour while I washed her down I felt again and it needed about one squeeze to be fully firm again... That doesn't sound like it's the problem does it?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll really have to look Into your idea jcole, I'm about sick of this oil tank being in a compartment you can't even see the level of the tank in, and even tho it's a two stroke I feel like it burns a lot of oil....

·
Red X Angler
2,484 Posts
Loss of pressure in a bulb when the motor isn't running after a while is normal, and it is a lot easier to get the bulb hard pumping it vertically is true. Mine is a 01 Yamaha 90hp two stroke and I have the separate oil and mine sips gas and oil. Mine took months of work, removed and cleaned all three carbs twice and new fuel water separator.twice. And running and checking running and checking. Adjust here and adjust there. Now finally idol at around 800 and is at 40mph at 4800rpms and cranks first time every time. Put new plugs in as well, might have a fouled one...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How about this- day two on the water I changed both fuel filters, I have a large fuel/water separator and then a small inline filter after my electronic fuel sender in case it has a catastrophic failure (don't want little pieces of plastic in my engine). Anyway that didn't help, but they needed changing so not a big deal. I'm now 99.9 % sure it's the bulb. It was fine in the morning but come midday it started being soft again... And wouldn't pump unless you held at a certain angle. I think it's seals are on the way out and as the sun heats them up and they expand in that afternoon sun they begin to leak.

That makes sense to me at least, seeing as how it only acted up in the heat of the afternoon sun both times...

Also when it wasn't letting us make our run back, I had a buddy hold it at that certain angle and it instantly fed the engine better, once he let go it puttered out.

Pretty sure we nailed it. Thanks guys I'll post up after I replace and see if it's better

Reactions: BigE818 and sundrop

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I only get a couple or 3 years out of those bulbs between this junk fuel and the sun. The connectors will seep too over time so I typically buy the whole hose.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not 100% yet but I'll let y'all know if the bulb fixes it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigE818
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.