NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ben hearing and reading alot about using spoons for reds and trout. any particular size, color? do i put a swivel in the line or just tie straight to the lure?

thanks

btw...great site....just one suggestion. someone needs to send me maps of their honey holes for trout, reds, flounder,...........crappie, catfish, strippers....i think you all get the point!!!!:eek: :D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
If I were going to buy one size in one color it would be a 1/2 oz gold sprite. That being said sometimes silver is better especially for trout. Reds prefer gold and a couple of red dots on it sometimes makes a difference. You can play around with skirts and hooks.On the gold models a 2/0 circle hook with a rootbeer with skirt gold flecks can be a real killer. On the silver model you might want to try a chartreuse green/ white skirt. These are not necessary by any means. Sometimes plain is better. I like to tinker and sometimes it pays off. To get the maximum flash especially in off color water try to set your approach up so the sun is at a 90 degree angle to the sun. Try the 1/2 oz model first giving gold and silver a chance. It is the most versatile size. Once you get familar with it you might want to get the 1/4 oz and 5/8 oz models. I use a small swivel attached via a split ring. If you are fishing in real grassy area's you can use a silver minnow instead. Don't be suprised when you catch a flounder. I have a customer who uses a 1/2 oz gold sprite tipped with a mud minnow along sewalls and channel edges to catch flounder. He does as good as most veteran flounder fisherman, yet he might make 3 trips a year. Tight lines AL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i'm gonna give several different lures a try. i just don't have any experience with spoons...for now. i'll try both colors in the 1/2 oz.

thanks for reply both here and with the vhf questions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
k5ranger,
Johnson Sprites as Sinkerman suggested are great in gold for reds and silver for trout just like he said. Tipping with minnows for flounder sounds deadly and is good advice. You may also try single weedless spoons tipped with plastic grubs tails too. I've had some success this way. Luhr Jenson makes a Krocodile Spoon that is very effective inshore saltwater. I choose hammered gold with red accent for reds. White and silver will work for many species too, especially when trolled in Florida up next to mangroves for Snook and Reds!. The Clark Spoon made in Morehead city is thought of as a Mackeral trolling spoon but I am quite sure they will work inshore too. Spoons are very effective baits that cast well and catch fish. Inshore rig them with a swivel and a 20-30# flourocarbon leader. Offshore make sure the swivel is a black ball bearing to prevent small choppers and line twist. Another tip...keep the spoon clean and free of grass. They don't work dragging debris. If treble hooks are picking up stuff, split rings with single hooks will help fix that problem. When heaving steel you'll need a good whet stone 'cause the filet knife will get dull. Fish ON!
Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.