NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old jon boat I have been using the past few years! I have replaced the interior wood transom last year and it is holding up very well. I sealed it off perfectly and took my time. However there is. Piece of wood on the outside of the transom that is really rotting out. Is this piece of wood necessary? It is a 16 foot aluminum boat with a 20hp tiller steer! What are your opinions on this. I would like to get rid of exterior wood. I took the wood off that was there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
The jon that I purchased a few years back had the same type of construction. People add that usually to brace a troller/motor onto. A main concern would be to make sure existing bolt holes are sealed and watertight.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I would look at adding a panel of Seaboard. Need to spread the weight and torque of the motor. You do not want the transom to start to flex and then crack. Just my .02

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Alot of jon boats now days dont have that. If you had one that you had a small outboard on that you might take off and on frequently, the wood may be there to protect the aluminum from wear and tear. I guess whether its structural or not would depend on how the boat was built.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I would want something there for support and to spread the load but I would either use starboard or a cheap fix is cutting board (yes those thick white kitchen cutting boards) The stuff is tough and waterproof. Don't use metal like a steel plate against aluminum it will cause "electrolysis" corrosion, I think is the term.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I would use seaboard? like someone suggested or do what I did. Go to bed bath and beyond , just don't get seen going in and buy one of those cutting boards that is that white plastic . you can cut it with a jig saw. then put a 1/8 inch ???( I will ck the size later and post as I still havesome of the sheet aluminum) sheet aluminum over it so you have the transom then plastic then aluminum so the palistic is sandwiched by the jon transon and aluminum sheet. works great. I think I got that off tinboats forum.....will post a pic later as well....

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
sorry sundrop...I just saw your post where u already suggested the same thing.....the cutting board works really well ..I will post pics tonight..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts