NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Head out to Jordan lake this morning looking forward to a near beautiful day of catching. Last Sunday I came up just short of winning my club's year end fish off there after a great day of fishing, then a pretty rough week at the office, couldnt wait to get out for a relaxing day.

I put in around 7:30 in cool, glassy calm, clear sky and beautiful fall colors. I started out throwing a crankbait on a few reliable places, I picked up 2 dinks to get rid of thr skunk and had one pull off that felt a little better, lack of wind and low water didnt really help my cause at these places. I knew my better areas from last week are better mid day so I decided to go check a few off the beaten path areas to kill some time. I stopped on a little point and caught a white bass and a small largemouth and had one pull off after a few seconds. Decided to fish a couple nearby laydowns. I thoroughly fished 2 of them with a texas rig Z-hog. There was one more little stick I pitched to, about that time another boat comes in and I turn my head to see if he is going to the next place I want to hit, I feel a tick and instinctivly swing for the fence and a 3 lber come wallering out. Stop on another point and caught another fish pushing 3 lbs. Run to a different creek and catch another one flipping wood. The wind starts blowing a little as I pull in to the area where my better fish came from last week, it was right for the area but the fish didnt cooperate, caught a 2.75 and one or two others and lose one. Run to another spot and catch another 3 lb fish flipping wood. Spend the rest of the day cranking and catch a few more keeper fish and short fish. I end the day with about 15-20 fish and 8 keepers, best 5 probably would have been in the 13-14 lb range. I never did stick a big fish but it ended up being the fun and relaxing day I was looking for, I ran out of daylight or I might still be out there.

Water Boat Watercraft Plant community Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Water Boat Outerwear Sky Watercraft

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Nice day of catching quality fish, Neil. Someday I should get over and fish Jordan.

Reactions: Neilslure

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
It aint nothing like Belews.
No, Belews is its own little gremlin. I have a certain fascination with Belews, but I still can't quite explain it. There are a lot days I can't figure out what in the world the bass want out there, but I guess it's something about the warm clear water that makes me *feel* like the lake is more 'alive' than the cold water of typical lakes. I have no success upon which to draw a comparison for other lakes during the winter, as I really only started fishing in Winter the year I started at Belews (this will only be my 3rd or 4th season fishing during the winter).

Wish I had more time to travel and make trips to some of NC's lakes, like Jordan and Buggs. I hear good things but just haven't had the chance to really try to fish them much yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.