NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I fished a little pot tournament at Jordan. After a long and hectic week at work, I was ready to put a hurtin on em. I started out early throwing a pop-R type bait. I had quite a few hit it and miss it, most on the small side under 14" also missed one that absolutely exploded on it, I left that spot with my two fish allowed to be under 14"... a 12" and 13.5". Short run to my next spot and had one miss and soon after got a spawned out 3 lber. I covered some water looking for bedding fish and throwing that Pop-R. Boated a 14.5" in the back of a cut and catch a few more shorts. Wasnt seeing anything in the way of beds so kept on with the pop-R, I watched as a good fish swam along side it, she didnt hit it but gave away her position, Power Pole down and went to work, took about 15 minutes to get her with a jig, about 4.5 lbs. Continued down the bank and had another plump fish come out of a laydown and suck down my pop-R, it was about 4 and quite an upgrade from the 12" fish I culled. Went to another area and caught a few shorts and got a 14.75" fish to cull my 13.5"er. At 10 I estimated I had about a 14 lb limit and by now the sun had burned off the clouds and visibility was good so I committed to bed fishing as I knew that was what it would take to get the fish I needed to win. Hit several other areas and didnt see anything and caught a few 13-14" fish along the way, no help to my cause. I finally spotted another bed around 11:30, it was in muddy water and pretty difficult to see, I would see just enough of the fish to know there were 2 there, I spent 20 minutes and never got a reaction. Covered some more water looking and about 12:30 I hit the jackpot. Spotted 2 4-5lb fish a few feet apart and willing to play and knew those were gonna be my winning fish, it took about 30 minutes to get them both and culled 2 14-15" fish. Spotted another bed not far away that had 2 fish on it, I caught the smaller of the two first, it was enough to cull the 3 lber I caught earlier and 10 minutes later I culled it with another 4 lber. At that point I knew I was in the 20-22 lb range and I would have to find a bigger fish to cull anything I had. I went to another cut and caught another 3.5 lb fish but it didnt help me any. When i got back to the ramp, I talked to the 2 teams I worried most about, one struggled to get bit, the other said they had a good bag and big fish about 6 too:eek:. I ended the day with 21.5 lbs, I weighed 2 of mine for big fish both were 4.65. Other team had 18.99lbs and big fish at 5.4. Its not often everything falls right into place but it makes for a fun day when it does.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good Job man! i was out there saturday just practicing, i seen some bedding fish caught alot of 13-14 inch fish, i lost about a 4 lber on top water second cast there. i struggled after that to catch some big ones. thats awesome though congrats on the win!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats! I enjoyed reading your post. Like to hear about people catching them...gives me hope that one day I'll figure out Jordan and the fish will bite.

I was out there on Sunday. Found the bedding fish just about every place I went but didn't catch the bedding fish. My first time doing this type of fishing. I saw lots of shorts but also saw a few 3+ pounds cruising banks. I just couldn't get them to bite. Reading your post I see you invested 30 mins on some. Are there any specific signals you look for that might indicate one is more willing to bite than another? how do you decide which fish to focus on and when to move on from a fish? I wonder if I spent too much time on some and not enough on others.

Oddly, my day was saved moving from one spot to another when I found a school of fish surface feeding in 8 feet of water off a point, along a current seam. Had a rod with a jerk bait tied on so I threw that out... 3 casts and 3 three small white bass in a row. 8", 10" and 12". Switched to a crankbait and got back to back largemouths at that same spot. Still small fish...12" and 14". Went to cast again and a saw bigger LMB (4+) bust the surface. After that the school disappeared. Got the 6th fish later.. LMB smacked a spinnerbait on a rip rap transition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really enjoyed yur post. I am going to be fishing Lake Jordan for the first time this weekend. i am going to try some of the things that worked for you and hopefully I can have some of the same good luck.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't you have a partner fishing with you?
Nope, I fished by myself.

You are the Jordan master! Seems like every time you are there, its supposed to be a tough day and you are loading up on 4, 5, 6+ lbers! Awesome job!
I put my time in out there, it pays off. I ignore and tune out all the "tough day" stuff(fronts, barometric pressure, moon phase, cold ect) that alot of guys use to boost or bust their confidence and I go fishing. Every day is a fullmoon 5 star day on my solunar table calender, it shows every day as the best day to fish so I go into every day with the confidence that I can find them and catch them. There are always good fish to be caught somewhere on the lake on any given day, regardless of conditions, my goal is the same... find them and make them bite.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just couldn't get them to bite. Reading your post I see you invested 30 mins on some. Are there any specific signals you look for that might indicate one is more willing to bite than another? how do you decide which fish to focus on and when to move on from a fish? I wonder if I spent too much time on some and not enough on others.
I first look at what the fish is doing. If it pretty much stays put, it is probably catchable. A fish that swims around alot and might leave and not come back for a few minutes is going to be difficult if not impossible to catch.

The next thing I pay attention to is body language... how does it react to my baits. If I drag my jig into the bed and the fish looks at it or noses down on it thats a good sign. If I bump the fish with my line and it turns around quick to see what is pestering it, only a matter of time before it turns and sucks up my jig. If I spend 15 minutes and dont see positive signs I will be inclined to leave it. In a tournament situation, obviously a bigger fish is worth more time. Saturday everything I saw was good quality and cooperative.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.