NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out to Jordan today for the first time in several weeks as I have spent my last 6 fishing days on Kerr Lake. I got a late start as I was still suffering from a "fishing hangover", the tired worn out feeling I get after prepping for and fishing a big tournament, alarm went off at 4:30, I shut it off and next thing I know there was daylight coming through my window. It was about 7:30 by the time I put in. I spent the first few hours hitting different places trying to figure out what was going on and where things stood with the spawn. I caught a small fish on a buzz bait and a few more smalls on a crankbait and a 2.5 on a tx rig. Once the sun got up I went to several pockets that usually hold spawners and went to looking. I spotted one and worked on it with a jig for 15 or 20 minutes before I hooked up, it was close to 3 lbs. Went down the bank and spotted another and worked on it, about 3.5 lbs. Continued on down and flipped to a stump as I passed and saw a good fish kiss it, a closer look revealed a bed... by the time I realized it was a bed I was too close and blew water on the fish with the trolling motor, I moved on. I spotted a 2 or 3 smaller fish that were either cruising or just very skittish, not worth messing with. I went back to the stump, first pitch in she pecked at it but I didnt swing, had her within 5 minutes, about 2.5 lbs. I checked one or two more pockets with no sightings or just very skittish fish. I came to a little secondary pocket and could see a big dark fish. First flip in she jumped on it and I missed. Big fish, easy to see and willing to bite... I set up my video camera figuring she would be easy to get... I was wrong. I worked that fish probably 30 or 45 minutes. During that time I noticed 2 more beds within 5 feet that werent as visible, one was between me and the big fish so I started working both fish on the same flip, the closer fish was pretty aggressive but I could barely see her, didnt take long, she was about 4 lbs. Not long after I stuck the bigger fish, it was about 5 lbs. A few more minutes and a stuck the 3rd fish in that area which was about 3 lbs. Checked a few more pockets and decided to call it a day. Today was my first time sight fishing since putting a Power Pole on my boat back in the summer, that thing makes it so much easier. Instead of constantly having to reposition the boat blowing water and mud everywhere with the trolling motor all I have to do is bump the trolling motor on very low power if the boat wants to swing. What started out as a tough day ended up being a good day.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Glad you found them! I hope things stay close to the same with the storms coming in this week. I'm hoping to find some of them Wednesday and Thursday for Friday!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neither do I, But I believe the fish will spawn anyway.
Those fish are back on the beds within several minutes of being released.

Lets not go down the path of if it is ethical or not, opinions on that topic are widely varied and that usually leads to closing threads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts