NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to Jordan this week with the Javelin and various different baits. Before I get into it, I've always had bad luck on Jordan, and my multiple trips is because I want to learn this lake more (as I normally only fish Gaston). So, don't expect anything spectacular other than a report coming from someone trying to crack this baby.

The trips were mostly uneventful other than yesterday. The bass were hiding deep in the coves and hitting early in the morning and late in the afternoon as expected. Mid-day, they were popping here and there, but nothing I could snag other than seeing a few caught here and there by neighboring boats.

Baits (Successful)

• 7inch Trick Worm (no brand)
  • 6inch Yamamoto Senko

Side Board (Successful)

Fishing Brim/Shad to get colors and also to have fun catching small ones.

• Yum Crickets
  • White Jig

Colors

• Yellow/Black
  • Orange

Presentation/Tactics

Weightless Whacky style worming with a short cast and hard jerks with pausing for drops. The dropping is key, because with the right worm, it will wiggle on the fall and trigger a strike on almost every attack. Speed varies, but most of the successful strikes happen after the cast and the first jerk and drop. After two the three drops, I reel in to keep moving forward to cover more ground.

Weightless is good because the depth is 3ft or less water. It also allows more top water action in heavy structure to wiggle that sucker between branches, weeds and stumps.

Potential Successes (Past Success)

• Orange Yum Crawfish on the Drop Shot (rocky bottoms)
  • Jig with Orange/Black Skirt with Orange Yum Crawfish (Everything else)

Big Failures (Thought could work, but NOOO, this lake hates me!)

• White/Red Strike King Spinner Bait with Bleeding Hook and Bleeding Trailer
  • Gizzard Shad Crank (0 - 2ft, 5 - 10ft)
  • Yellow/Black Crank (5 - 10ft)
  • Orange Crawfish Crank (5 - 10ft)
  • Redish Crawfish Crank (0 - 2ft)
  • Yellow Lipless Crank

Notes

Lots of good success toward the end of the day when I switched colors. Carp are spawning everywhere and saw no bass beds yet. Lost fish were my own fault, had 3 I missed due to early settings and one due to not noticing the high amount of slack in the line (when I tried to set the hook, I got nothing but slack until it was too late). Others were missed because of too early sets. You always got to let them suckers suck that bait in and count off before setting.

Shade/Brim wise, I brought some Yum Crickets with me to play around with a new light spinner reel I bought. I tossed that cricket on a small bleeding red hook with a splitshot and fished it around the coves near stumps, trees and etc. I caught around 20 or so brim and whatnot. It was really good fun and those Yum crickets are killer with the brim. I highly suggest someone check em out if you need a non-live alternative that lasts on average 5 brim before you get one that rips it off.

Cheers!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I'm going to head out their tomorrow if the weather allows. I will start the morning using the last trips successes as soon as possible. Hopefully, I can have some good fish in the boat, or maybe I'll just blame it on the rain. :cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plan was to head to Harris instead of Jordan for the meetup, but I overslept. I got on Jordan instead around 9ish. I didn't get much because I was being slow this morning. I could tell from the coves I visited the other day were dead of life. The bass moved out to deeper water I suspect and would return later in the afternoon. I didn't feel like hunting them down, so I went to Harris to catch the meetup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.