NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like it is winding down for this winter, but since mid December we made 7 trips and caught over 1,000 crappie at Jordan Lake. We never kept our limit, but caught it every time. This is the first year I've ever bought 20 dozen minnows for a day of fishing, but we did it twice this year. Both trips I had five of us fishing, but that is still a lot of minnows to go through. Got to take four different families with kids that don't get to fish all that much, so it was fun watching the kids wear them out. Lots of smiles on the boat so far for 2015 and looking forward to what the rest of the year holds. The one picture of all the crappie in the cooler was for a "critter cooking" we had at our church. 36 guys showed up and every one of them got to enjoy some great crappie fillets. Of course, my freezer is empty now too. LOL Biggest fish brought up was 14 1/4" with several around 13". I've heard a lot of people complaining about the number of fish being kept out of the lake and I had a thought as I was down there fishing. The lake is about 17,000 acres and probably 95% of the people fishing are only fishing in about 5 acres of water. I'm not expressing an opinion, nor am a biologist, but just a thought I had.
Staple food Gas Fish Seafood Nail
Military camouflage Smile Marines Motor vehicle Military person
Water Sky Boat Vertebrate Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Watch Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gauge Vehicle

Tree Hat Recreation Event Leisure
Food Fish Fin Marine biology Fish products

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Nice job on the great catches!

I agree with Jerry. People complaining about crappie being removed from a big lake like Jordan might not understand how crappie populations work. If those people enjoy catching dozens of undersized stunts-n-runts, then by all means leave them all in the lake!

The fact that you're catching the numbers that you are, and that many or most are keepers and some are 13+ inches, at least for me personally says about as much as I would need to know about the health of the crappie population at Jordan.:D

Reactions: brhunt

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
It boggles my mind to think how many crappie are down there around 64. Every weekend theres a bunch of folks out there catching alot of fish and keeping atleast 1/2 of them, yet day after day fish are getting caught. And figure for every fish that you see caught theres probably 5 that wont bite.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Years ago there was a guy on here that often caught 2.5 to 3.5 pound crappie in late Spring and early Summer from Jordan. Sometiems he would have two or three a day that big. Not sure how he did it or where and maybe when they get that big you have to fish differently for them. I would keep any crappie I caught over 3 pounds to mount!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I typically will keep the first few 10" or over then once I have a nice meal of those on the boat I stop keeping anything under 12. I've never fished Jordan but hope to do so soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't understand why you guys up there don't get some gillnets. There are a bunch of us in Carteret County that would like to send some guys up there to help you out with this dilemma and end the senseless slaughter of all those helpless minnows.
Then you could have awesome fishing like we have down here haha.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
this can only go bad, I think I will sit this one out so no one gets hurt..:cool:

Reactions: drjon and peanut

·
Registered
56 Posts
No sorry no exceptions, just because it was stated that 95% of the lake is unfished. Only kidding I have a son at ECU and a daughter at Wake Forest consequently my former Jones Bros. Bateau is in somebody else's driveway now. I fish in waders now and have been blessed beyond measure. But the part time netter in my neighborhood, you know the one with the decal of a boy urinating on a CCA logo, sees me wading and then sets 4 nets around the area when he has a whole river, gets to me a little.
Just venting I'm glad you have a great fishery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.