NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeffo and I hit the water between 6:30 and 7 this morning. Quite a pleasant time, completely unhindered by the boaters who were to close the Ebenezer boat ramp by the time we left.

Crappie seem to have been on the menu. Neither of us was able to scare up a bass, but we got one crappie apiece. Maybe about 5 feet deep, over roughly an eight-foot bottom, at the opening of one of the feeder creeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Man, you've caught fish in your ncangler hat???? I've been skunked all 3 times out with my hat on. people all around using the same stuff I am getting bites and I'm not. :mad: Gonna be my around town hat I guess.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Adding to the fishing info - I got hit HARD several times on my shad rap without hookups before I got the one in the pic. I wasn't setting the hooks, but was nearly getting the rod snapped out of my hands. Surmising that we were on pretty good 11-12" hungry post-spawn crapies and they were ripping free (or maybe snagging some big shad???).

Anyway, a bucket of minnows hung about 4-5' below a float, or on dropper rigs drifted around the mouth of the last major cut on the right side toward the back of the impoundment would be my plan if I could get back there soon.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
thanks for inviting others to meet up on such kayak fishing trips. couldn't make it this time, but would love to in the future, esp. at jordan, falls, etc. (i'm in hillsborough). and thanks for follow up report.

i caught several bass from my kayak at gaston over memorial day. worked docks and in between with a zara spook puppy on ultralight spinning gear. got bass of 2, 2.5, and 3lbs -- most in middle of day.

// joel

Reactions: Jeffonc

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
thanks for inviting others to meet up on such kayak fishing trips. couldn't make it this time, but would love to in the future, esp. at jordan, falls, etc. (i'm in hillsborough). and thanks for follow up report.
// joel
Hey Joel, we're pretty non-committal until the last minute, but we try to put the word out. Will try harder knowing there are folks interested. Thought we might catch skooteri or smithhut with this one, but being a holiday that was a long-shot.

I'm about ready to start dipping the toes back into Falls instead of driving all the way out to Jordan. (I really do like that Weaver Creek tho, and I know where the big crappies are biting there!)

Thanks back for the Gaston report. Holler if you're headed out nearby and maybe one of us can show up for one of your trips...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hey Joel, we're pretty non-committal until the last minute, but we try to put the word out. Will try harder knowing there are folks interested. Thought we might catch skooteri or smithhut with this one, but being a holiday that was a long-shot.
Joel: Always nice to see a new kayaker admit that he has a problem. That is always the first step. Hopefully we can help you through it.

Jeff: You were quite right- I was at Sandbridge, surf-fishing. Meant to take the kayak out every day, but every aftrnoon it would get too windy:mad:. Thought about posting a report, but I don't think anybody wants to hear that I only caught 5 skates:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.