NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been traveling to Jordan for the past 2-3 weeks with some consistencies. Should have joined up with a wild cat tournament but didn't Oh well. Since the Catt tournament at Jordan launching at Ebenezer Church been possibly 10 trips with close to 17lbs. Course the water was just into the 50* mark and little more dingy. Everything boated in either White Oak and Little and Big Beaver Creeks with Yamamoto Kreature Bait and the NEW Bizz Bait/True South Fire Craw Killer Kraw on a 3/16 wide gap 4/0 jighead. Now with water temps climbing to 55*-58* as of the 25th.. Anyone found a bite in the 2-3 foot shallows?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
17lbs total or 17 lbs per trip? Big difference -LOL.

I know nothing about Jordan but the shallow bite this spring in the Greensboro-High Point area has been very hit or miss. Conditions have been good for about a month and water temps are close to 60 but still nothing consistent I've personally seen or read about. It has been a weird spring.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
17lbs total or 17 lbs per trip? Big difference -LOL.

I know nothing about Jordan but the shallow bite this spring in the Greensboro-High Point area has been very hit or miss. Conditions have been good for about a month and water temps are close to 60 but still nothing consistent I've personally seen or read about. It has been a weird spring.
Yeah didn't clerify that was ,17lb total with. 8lb first trip,

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went to Jordan and fished this past Friday evening and Saturday from about 8:00am-2:30pm. My buddy caught one after dark on Friday on a lipless crank in probably about 6-10' of water, it was probably 1-2 lbs tops. I caught a dink on Saturday around noon in a cove on a 6th sense black and blue square bill crank in around 4' or so. We tried a lot of 1-3' water areas tucked up by cover and closer to the bank but with really no luck. Temperature and weather seamed ideal, tried topwater, shallow cranks, and a little bit of chatterbait & jigging with no luck. Hadn't fished Jordan before but we definitely couldn't find a consistent bite - not for a lack of trying at least.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've been traveling to Jordan for the past 2-3 weeks with some consistencies. Should have joined up with a wild cat tournament but didn't Oh well. Since the Catt tournament at Jordan launching at Ebenezer Church been possibly 10 trips with close to 17lbs. Course the water was just into the 50* mark and little more dingy. Everything boated in either White Oak and Little and Big Beaver Creeks with Yamamoto Kreature Bait and the NEW Bizz Bait/True South Fire Craw Killer Kraw on a 3/16 wide gap 4/0 jighead. Now with water temps climbing to 55*-58* as of the 25th.. Anyone found a bite in the 2-3 foot shallows?
Fished Jordan every week when weather permitted, usually mid-week to avoid weekend crowds. Surface water temps with wide variations from low 50s to nearly 60 depending on location, rain and night temperatures. Spotted fish deep (12+ feet), but catching shallow very slow. Wide variation in species, with LMB, crappie, white bass, an occasional brim. Many crappie fishermen out under the bridges doing well; bass fishermen in abundance on Saturday and Sunday, some with manners and some not. No indication of bluegill or bass beds or tail rubs. Tried everything in the box (deep runners, surface floaters, squarebill, jigs, spinnerbaits, noisy things, quiet things, plastic things, Beetle Spins) without consistent pattern. Fish few and far between. Water midlake high and discolored but not muddy unless you are in a cove with runoff; lake is being dumped via dam releases showing multiple pollen lines between a couple of days. Lots of boats/trailers at the Church ramp; might have been the day of the tournament. We'll keep trying; sooner or later those big green beauties have to come up to spawn, and I'd like to be there when it happens. With freezing temps this week, it might not be soon.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Respect the grind DrJon, yeah this weather being all over the place is a little frustrating but what can ya do.. can't wait for a more consistent bite or pattern. You mentioned the "tail rub", I feel like I've seen someone touch on that in a video. Is that where you can see where the bass has been pushing up to spawn by some sort of marks on the back of them/tail?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Many fish that spawn will have sore spots (red, irritated, maybe even raw looking) on the bottom of their tails and sometime their bellies from spawning and fanning nests. I haven't seen any fish like that yet. Water needs to hit mid-60's consistently to get the spawn really going.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Respect the grind DrJon, yeah this weather being all over the place is a little frustrating but what can ya do.. can't wait for a more consistent bite or pattern. You mentioned the "tail rub", I feel like I've seen someone touch on that in a video. Is that where you can see where the bass has been pushing up to spawn by some sort of marks on the back of them/tail?
Yes, the lower web of the tail will be worn and often red or yellow during the early spawn when the fish uses its tail to clear out a clean place to lay the female's eggs. That's called a "bed", and as soon as the eggs are laid, the male will fertilize them by squirting his man stuff over them. While the female is on the bed and for a short time thereafter, she will guard the bed from poaching brim and other egg eaters, making her vulnerable to us fishermen who carefully pull or drag lures across the area. Plastic worms, salamanders, lizards, and crawfish work well at this time. Later, when the laying deed is done, the female is pretty much exhausted and heads for deeper water to rest and recuperate. The males take over the guard job until the eggs hatch and the babies ("fry") are on their own. The whole process is one of the most fun and exciting times for fishermen, as you have to see the bed and/or the fish on or near the bed, approach quietly, cast beyond the bed and bring the lure close enough that the fish feels a threat to the eggs, but not be scared off. If the fish leaves the bed, you can wait patiently for him/her to return, or move on down the lake to find another one, coming back a little later to try the first one again. Try it; you'll like it. The females are almost always larger than the males, so earlier in the season is better.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info DrJon, didn't know that the female and male swapped on guard duty or where the females go directly after guarding. I've been using a lot of hard plastics and reaction type baits so far this year but might try my luck going back to some finesse fishing and seeing if the trusty lizard might get me a couple bites. Looks like we've got some good weather this week that's fairly consistent so hopefully it will help warm up the water some more.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the detailed info DrJon, didn't know that the female and male swapped on guard duty or where the females go directly after guarding. I've been using a lot of hard plastics and reaction type baits so far this year but might try my luck going back to some finesse fishing and seeing if the trusty lizard might get me a couple bites. Looks like we've got some good weather this week that's fairly consistent so hopefully it will help warm up the water some more.
Not one to "Bed Fish" but last year on Randleman I went with it. Started using plastics then when I ran up on a Bass bedding I used a natural colored 1/2 oz. jig with natural colored trailer. Did good then so looking to when I get my boat fixed and back on the water in 2-3 days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts