NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hadn't heard of it yet, no...
I'd like to read more of the background info before I send 'em an email....

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
First I've heard.. like ya'll, I want to know more before I put my name out there..

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Wow, from that starting point, it's awful hard to find any substantial information on that site.

This link seems to be a better starting point for their concerns focused on Jordan.
https://www.environmentnorthcarolina.org/clean-water/jordan-lake

Seems the crux of their concern is various pollutants associated with rapid development -- including current sanitation practices (sewage dumping). They're soliciting letters of support to legislators to pass laws to address current problems and prevent them from getting worse. The references to cleanup actions seem (from what I can see) to refer to passing laws to require remediation activities, no to specific cleanup tasks like the Ward Transformer project.

Reactions: kayakingglenn

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I'm all for more laws.. ENFORCED laws! But they need to place the burden on the builders and businesses that cause the brunt of the pollution, NOT the taxpayers and the recreationers...

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Wow, from that starting point, it's awful hard to find any substantial information on that site.
I looked around their site too and found it hard to sift much meat from the politically polished stuff. I do appreciate their scorecard on the state legislature at https://www.environmentnorthcarolina.org/legislature/our-legislative-scorecard, but I'd have to spend some time with it to see if I agree with their position on each and every issue they rate. My guess is that I would not score 100 on their scale, but I wouldn't be a zero either. As you chase their organizational trail you go through the Public Interest Research Group, the Fund for Public Interest Research, the Sierra Club and all the way back to Ralph Nader on college campuses. I don't know a lot about those groups other than they all seem to be pretty far to my left on the big picture political scale. But I suspect that when it comes down to the river or lake in my backyard I'd probably agree with them more often than not. Even so, I haven't heard nearly as much about pollutant issues at Jordan as I have with Falls, Crabtree Lake/Creek, and the Neuse, so I guess I'm not very educated on exactly what they're trying to "save". I can't argue with wanting to "save" Jordan, but I don't know how big the threat is. (Here's their info sheet: What's At Stake: Clean Up Jordan Lake!. I've never heard of an algae bloom or fish kill at Jordan. That doesn't mean they haven't happened, but they haven't caught my attention nearly to the level of things at Falls, Crabtree and the Neuse have.)

Personally I prefer the Neuse River Foundation's targeted focus, their hip-deep-in-the-river approach, and their work to educate NC's young people on the importance of maintaining the health of the Neuse River basin. I don't agree with everything they say/do either, but I feel like they're a lot more personal in their involvement. It probably doesn't hurt that I regularly fish Falls, get my drinking water from it and cross the Neuse daily. I contacted the NRF and got confirmation that they have been in contact with Environment North Carolina in the past but they didn't offer any more than that in the way of positive or negative feedback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.