NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since our offshore fishing adventure plans were spoiled by the current cold front, we decided to still get together but do some Jordan Lake Striper trolling today. I knew we were in trouble when I went outside this morning and had to scrape the ice off my truck from the SLEET and SNOW last night! Wellcraft Dave graciously provided the boat and GWMarty, Fojoloy and I put in at 7AM and headed across the lake. I could feel my lips freezing as Dave opened up!

We trolled for about 5 hours and had two hits but no takers. We marked a lot of fish in the 18-25' depth range, but couldn't interest them in anything we had to offer. Dave had some good conversation on the VHF and later he and Marty were "field testing" the offshore teaser. :)

About 12:30 we met Hot Spot in a protected cove of the lake to thaw out a bit and chew the fat. Actually we were chewing some excellent Vension sausage that Dave brought for us. Thanks Dave! :D A little later StriperJunkie motored over with his morning charter, a couple of very proud sons and their dad who had landed the only striper we saw today, but a very nice 11+ pounder. Congratulations young men!

It was a very cold day on the water but I had a great time meeting some of these guys for the first time. Forrest thanks for the biscuits and the fly ties (figured if I said the "flies" after the biscuit it might not sound right :p ). Thanks guys and let's do it again sometime when the fish are cooperating and my lips don't freeze! :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Sorry I couldn't make it guys. My wife is very sick. We went to the doctor - they took blood and other lab work. Ordered an ultrasound for Monday, gave her nausea and pain meds and sent her home. Said to go to the ER if she develops a fever before then. They think it is her gall bladder. We will know on Monday I guess.

Looks like you had a chilly good time :D.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Randy ready to set hook-- Marty marking fish--Dave ready to back her down upon hookup--I was to photograph the catch. Only caught good friendships on the water while trying--THANKS GUYS!:)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Mike ---Very sorry to hear about your wife being ill.
Sometimes the best laid plans get interrupted for better reasons.
I will keep her in my prayers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey guys,had a great(cold,but fun)time.fingers,face,feet finally thawing out.it was a real pleasure meeting all you guys.hope we can do it again sometime.randy,hot spot,striper junkie(all you guys)thanks for all the tips on the striper fishing.hope to get my boys up there to do some sometime.mike,sorry to hear about your wife.hope all is ok.we'll gettum next time fellas,if forest brings that lucky hat i've been hearing about.
oh yeah,dave let me run the boat again.guess my drivin wasn't so bad after all.:D
thanks again guys.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Mike, sorry you couldnt make it, but we completely understand, wish your wife well from us all! We'll get ya on the next one ;)

Had fun guys! Y'all are definately hardcore. Forrest, thanx for the biscuts, Randy you've got great set-ups for that type fishin.. got Martin and I talkin about makin a tackle monkey visit :eek: How Striper Junkie pick'd us out of the crowd was amazin! ha ha ha ha.... Good to meet you and great catch today, happy young men on your boat for sure! Thanx Steve for takin the time out to meet up with us... we know all too well you wanted to get out of that weather after bein in it like you were all day (morning), good to finally meet you. If you ever need a custom teaser made up, give us a call;)

All in all, fun to meet up/fish/hang out with NCA members. Different dimension for sure when you get out from behind the computer and meet folks talkin the talk and walkin the walk. Great tips and pointers from both Hotspot and Striper Junkie.. if it weren't for Randy with us on the boat.. I'd of been clueless on them stripers. Was interesting and fun to learn that style of fishin for sure.

Steve you were in the ballpark, I took a look and the size I use is 1.80 mm Momoi 300 lb test. That swivel was Momoi Hi-catch locking 300 lb ball bearing.

Junkie, I'll have to get with ya... You'd sure look good with that Wellcraft wrap'd around ya! :D

I managed to upload two teaser videos, so check'm out if you get a chance guys.. crazy action for sure and that chub is the heat!! hit that throttle and at 16 mph the chub when straight down in this crazy tight wiggle pattern. We could only imagine what it would look like in blue water.

Anyway, had a great time and we'll have to do it again when the weather is more "favorable" :) here's some pix from today

Oh yeah Marty.. sorry, I know the boat isnt a Grady... but you did ok with what ya had to work with! :p (in the teaser pic, that's the flyin fish teaser back behind the chub teaser)
rest of the pix are in my gallery.

There was one radio report of a stick being caught.. but couldnt be confirmed who/what or where.... :eek:

Again, great to meet everyone! and Happy Easter to all!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Nice to meet y'all Dave, Marty and Forrest!!!!

That summer sausage was awesome Dave!!!

Thanks for the docking and loading assistance Randy and Forrest!!!

Thanks for the jigs Forrest, gonna try them this weekend at Gaston, I'll let you know how they perform.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I hear ya about the docking... man it was all I could do to get Marty on the dock.. after y'all left it really picked up strong and kept blowin with no breaks,, so we messed with them bird/squid rigs and that teaser then ran up to the north part of the lake.. wind blowin so hard we said screw it and went back to Ebenezer. Marty's face was on fire from that wind burn! ha ha haha...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.