NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from fishing the tailrace at lake jordan and I got to say that what I saw made me sick. most everything that was caught ( undersized or legal) didn't make it back to the water . saw many stripers and hybrids that weren't legal get carried to coolers in the parking lot. miles of fishing line and old cast nets were everywhere. actually saw a guy fill his mtn. dew bottle with water and punt it into the water. when I asked him why he did that he gave me a stupid grin and walked away. the upper lake wasn't much better . every where i tried to fish was littered with empty worm containers and drink bottles. my theory has always been it takes as much energy to carry it out as it does to throw it down. just ranting i guess but crap like this just sets me off.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Thanks for posting this Redfishtom. It makes no sense to me at all. I talk to my kids about responsibility and fighting laziness by doing what we're supposed to do. My grandfather used to use the term "sorriness" to describe those that don't and that seems to fit. The shortsightedness of trashing a lake, river or the ocean is beyond me. And the shortsighted greed (not to mention the illegality) of taking fish that are under legal size is ridiculous. I like to keep enough legal fish from time to time to eat but by practicing catch and release I hope there will be some to catch tomorrow and the next day and in the future for my kids. And as you point out, how much energy does it take to be responsible and throw away trash in a receptacle? I don't get it. Got me going now! ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
You know guys, this subject should get any respectable fisherman going! Like most avid fishermen, I've fished everything from farm ponds to the Gulf Stream and every time I see litter and pollution it first makes me mad and then saddens me to think that people can be so ignorant as to trash and exploit our natural resources!
Sorry.........it just hit a nerve.........

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's going on everywhere!

:( I allways try to take more trash back with me than what I brought!
I used to fish a pond in my area and usually the only thing I took was
a bag or two of trash. A friend and I finally got the place looking like a state park! Only afterwards people trashed it up time and again!
And again I'd go there with a trash bag instead of a fishing rod in hope
to keep access, only to one day be denied! My son and daughter caught there first bass here! Now we can't go back! It effects us all! And it
breaks my heart too! WE DO GOOD THINGS AND THEN ARE DENIED!!
Just because a few SORRY PEOPLE leave trash and take fish, instead of leaving fish and taking trash!
There's a spot on Dan river where there used to be Indian carvings of how they used to fish that area, but some SORRY PEOPLE cut the rock carvings out, now it's no longer there for others to see! It is a crime against nature!I ENCOURAGE US ALL TO SHAME THE SHAMELESS AND
THE GREEDY,AND WITHOUT FEAR! FOR THE ONLY FEAR I HAVE IS THAT WE AS STEWARDS , WILL CONTINUE TO LOSE HUNTING AND FISHING RIGHTS ACCROSS THIS LAND !!!
Teach the ones that need to be taught, and open the eyes of the blind. Explain to them that it's a Privilege.
Maybe then we can preserve our heritage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here! Here! Hookeye.

Well said........and kudos to you for your efforts! In spite of continually being frustrated and denied access, you sitll have the desire and drive striving to make a difference!

We could all take a lesson from this.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Every landing I go to I end up picking up trash, I fish the Charlotte area lakes and it is bad everywhere. They put trash cans everywhere and people just leave their crap all over the ramps and on the banks, makes me mad, bout as mad as someone makeing the boat ready while backed down the ramp!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Seems like the old saying about the Bad Apples spoiling the whole bunch. It's not just fishing, it's everything. I also try to leave the place better than it was. I agree with REDFISHTOM on the tailrace at Jordan, that's one dirty place. But, the majority of that mess, and the taking of undersized fish can be attributed to the INS. Enough said.........

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Im new to this site and it does make me sick about what I've been reading. ITs pretty sad that people have to leave their trash, and the Game Wardens don't do anything about it. There should be heavier patrols in the area, and a lot stiffer fines, and the Wardens should seriously back these efforts. Im from northeastern PA and its even worse there. In some areas you aren't allowed to fish or even stop your vehicle next to a small stream due to the tourists from NY and NJ just dropping their garbage and even oil and what not near the stream. Its rediculous.

G

·
Geez, why don't these morons get it? Next time I go fishing, I should bring a beating stick along with my Ugly Stik. I don't understand those who don't understand...:mad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
This morning at Kernersville Lake Park I rowed to my favorite spot but before I got there I fished off the surface a cup, a plastic bucket for chicken livers, 2 worm cups, a beat up foam bobber, one of those heavy casting bobbers, and a donut wrapper. All in a row, like the night before the thugs just got rid of their garbage into the water even though there are trash cans all over the place.

It's just the way it is. Life isn't fair. People nowadays just look out for themselves, ***** everyone else.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
LOL...sorry about that! There are certain words that get censored to keep it a family oriented site. Sometimes that automatic process doesn't work . :)

BelewsBrian said:
Oops, sorry.........didn't know the word that means a metal fastner with a slotted or phillips head on it would be bad enough to get the star treatment.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
i have to agree with all of you if you have fished in other states or places it seems that nc is just as bad as others places. i lived in western ny for 20 years. i belive the biggest step they ever took to clean up the nasty a$$ed water way was the 5cent refund on cans and bottles. the ice tends to chew up the other stuff. it is still there just not visable.

as for people taking short fish home don't get me started -i aint got all day-

zooker

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree all around with the sentiment here. The tailrace at Jordan is a great place to pick up old cast nets ... I cut the weights off of them to melt down for other things or to use as-is for rigs.

Since I fish from a kayak, I'm a bit closer to the water than most and see an amazing amount of trash in places the big boats don't normally go. I keep a crate in my tankwell for my fishing gear and generally return from any fishing trip with it full of other people's junk. One day,I may start to catalog all the stuff I find. So far, the most interesting is a 25 quart marine cooler in very good condition. I guess it blew out of a boat and the owner was just too busy to retrieve it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.