NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang
it's not carved in stone yet -- or even carved in polyethelene -- but I've been talking with a guy at work about paddling Jordan in search of stripers on Saturday the 21st. Don't have time & place yet, but I'll post here when I get 'em. Chime in if ya wanna join in.
Lefty

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Post the time and place, Randy, we'll drop by when we come off the lake.
(Got room on the grill for some stripers?)

:D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to Jeff today -- we're kicking around 10:30am at the Roberson Creek ramp. Please PM me by Friday suppertime if you're interested in meeting up, so we can react to last-minute changes if necessary.

Lefty

·
Registered
180 Posts
We've got the BBQ festival up here. Do you guys think the water temps have dropped enough. We've been trying to run them down up here without any luck so far. Pulled everything from crankbaits to swimbaits. In some cse we mark a ton of bait but nothing under them so far.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you guys think the water temps have dropped enough?
Personally, I haven't done the research, I just don't know. I'd been thinking about grabbing an aquarium thermometer and stashing it in the yak -- Is there a general guideline for what temp (or temp change) the stripers like to come alive?

My two primary philosophies in this case, though, are
  • The best time to go fishing is anytime you can, and
  • A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.
If it turns out to be a recon trip, so be it. I'm 100% confident that the water temp will be adequate to float the kayak. :D

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
That's The Spirit Lefty!!!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Lefty--You've got this fishing thing all figured out. Go fishing when you feel like it, if you catch something thats a bonus.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lefty--You've got this fishing thing all figured out. Go fishing when you feel like it, if you catch something thats a bonus.
Oh goody, I'm an expert now. :D
No submerged cover is safe now -- I'm gonna go get some 70-lb test and pull it all ashore! ;)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hope you been working out. The yak gonna get lots of abuse doing that. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice weather out today....

Lots of folks out hunting for the stripers today -- don't know about everybody else, but the two of us didn't get a whole lot of action. Jeff got a couple of sunfish, and I landed a handful of largemouth bass... (and IT wasn't any more than a handful... I've thrown bait bigger than that bass.)

I did get a keeper stick but it threw the hook just before I got it to the boat.

Learned a little about trolling today.
  • Wait 'til ya get out away from the launch, into deeper water, before you toss out your trolling lures. (PH, I lost that electric chicken you gave me, today.)
  • Don't pull line off your reel by hand to feed it out for trolling. My line got tangled in the rod leash and I wound up with a big mess. Instead, I'll leave the bail open and paddle away from the lure.
It was nice weather though - the water was still warm, and once the sun came up, it did its part too. Got about another 5 miles under my hull today...

Lefty

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Sounds like a good day and a good time. Sorry about the stick fish. Sounded like it was a trophy.:D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounded like it was a trophy.
Bite thy tongue! This one was just a keeper, nothing spectacular about it. I've landed five-footers, and ones with twice the point count! Not to mention dog leashes and spawning tennis balls.

Takes more than that little twig to qualify for a citation in my book. ;)

Sheesh
Lefty

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
You didn't get the whole brush pile like you said? You coulda said you got a school then.:D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You didn't get the whole brush pile like you said?
Aha, now I'm following the thread. No, I didn't get the 70-lb line installed yet. Next week.

;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.