NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend hit jordan lake with a buddy of mine in an oar boat. We fished the brush lines with artificials (grub tails) and managed the largemouth pictured here and one little white bass. We also fished a third line with live minnows and caught four crappie in 4-5 ft of water. Not bad for our first time out on the lake. The wind also made for a pretty eventful day of rowing and some sore muscles the next day.

Last night I made it out to stage coach and caught and released what was my first spawning-run white bass ever. Seemed like a decent size but i don't have any past catches to really compare it to. There were about 5-10 others there but i only saw a couple small crappie and a bowfin or two caught.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
thanks for the report. that is a nice white bass -- they are a lot of fun to catch, but the bowfin are thick there at stagecoach! i hope to check out stagecoach and/or penny's bend on the eno over the next few days.

// joel

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the report. Looks like you had some success. Im surprised they were not biting better at stagecoach. I guess they havent got going good yet. Thats a nice looking white you got there though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
nice catch. My colleague and I will try Jordan lake tomorrow for some crappie fishing, but not sure where are the best spots to cast lines. I heard some people talking about south side area close to 64 bridge, but not sure if it's still doing well there. Any other places to recommend? Thanks for any hints! We will have a boat.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i tried stage coach rd area late yesterday (3/27) with minimal luck -- caught 1. very little current moving through the area; think a rain and fresh current would likely help the upstream run. i caught nothing in the main area, but wandered upstream past the dam, found some current below a log jam, and scored one decent WB. but otherwise didn't even catch a bowfin! did see some fishing jumping, but think they might have been carp -- are they spawning this time of year? saw a lot of carp jumping in the shallow water at another lake last week as well.

// joel

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fished Stage Coach today with my 10 year old who immediately hooked the biggest grennel I have ever seen,after a good fight the jig hook straightened and it was off. The thing looked to be about 4 ft. long. He said that fish hurt his belly from the butt of his rod. We did manage to catch 4 white bass (one of which was huge) and a cat. Was worth the trip to see him fight that big ugly.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I haven't heard them called Grennel since I left TN... Glad ya had fun!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Its funny how many times I have driven by there in the last 2 years and had no idea the fish ran up New Hope like that untill I got on this board. How do the WB get upstream of the impoundment dike?
They can get thru the dam. During periods of high water I have seen them in the woods before. Stripers,hybrids,crappie and threadfin all make a spawning run up the New Hope.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is pretty cool fishy. I might have to bring up the canoe from my Dad's or just get out the duck boat that is no stranger to stumps from Santee, (Jordan and Fall's too when it floods.)LOL.

It is probably over the spillway now, unless it is open, the lake has gotten very high over the weekend...

tight lines.

·
Registered
275 Posts
After rains and high water I put on my water boots and wade out a little to clear the brush at the edge. When the water drops enough to go up or down the creek the fishing can be good. Great place to fish when you dont feel like dealing with the boat,just grab a rod and a few baits and go fishing.The WB will still be around into may,after may not much to catch but mud cats and carp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.