NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, heading to Jordan lake next week going to look for some nice eater size cats. This will be my first winter fishing here in NC, where should I be looking to target the cats? Deep holes off of the shallow's? Also was thinking about chumming earlier with some dog food, I've had luck doing that in the summer. Any advice you have would be great, I was going to use simple bottom rigs with chicken liver.

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
If fishing from the bank, head to the spillway. If you have a cast net you can catch brim from the concrete walkway at the mouth of the spillway. You may pull up some crappie as well, but I don't think you can keep them if caught in a cast net. Some people like to walk up and around the spillway and fish the pool. I personally like to walk down river close to the treeline and fish that area. There are some big cats in there, last year I caught a few 50+ flatheads fishing live brim or eels. Cut brim or shad work the best, just about guaranteed to pull in a few good eater blues.

My avatar is one of the flatheads I caught in that same area.:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We ended up doing pretty good, caught around 25 with the majority of them being under 10 inches, but still caught a few eaters. Also marked a couple areas in the lake where big numbers of fish were holding at the bottom in cover and structure, but the waves were kicking pretty good and I just couldn't get anchored right over it. I tried drifting over but no luck, I really need a trolling motor! Water temp was around 41.

If you were out there I was the knuckle head removing his lower unit in the parking lot, it helps to connect your shift linkage after you replace the water pump.....somethings I learn the hard way!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.