NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used up half a vacation day at Jordan today. On the plus side I had weather I liked and the lake to myself. On the minus, the fish. Probably should have used the whole day and gone to the coast instead.

I set out for Poe's Ridge to launch and paddle the Dam area, which I've never seen. Looking at the map I was wondering how the ramps would be at Poe's since they're way back up an arm. Sure enough the Poe's area is gated - closed due to low water. Drove back up to New Hope and launched there around noon under a high cloud deck and a good drifting wind pushing out toward the lake.

Just like last time I was at Jordan I saw tons of fish on the finder below 15' in the channels. Nothing above 15'. Paddled toward the dam rotating crankbaits, bucktails and spoons with no interest from these fish. I made it to the Islands and turned around. I managed to pick off 2 small cats on a deep Fat Free Shad on the trip back. Tried C-rig in several spots on the way back hoping to grind out a sporting fish - 1 good knock that nearly got the rod, reel & all but I missed on the hookup once I had gathered my senses.

One day that lake will pay!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Still sounds like it beat workin'... Even though today wasn't as bad at the office as some....

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Hey Jeff, have you tried the Robeson Creek access area below the dam? There are two access areas, one for kayaks/canoes and another for regular boats. I had decent luck in the past putting in at the canoe access area and fishing the area right where the Haw feeds into the lake. There's alot of rocks around that seem to attract a decent amount of fish. It's fairly knarly in there too so it keeps most of the power boats away.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jeff, have you tried the Robeson Creek access area
Yep - I've been back up there a couple of times. Lefty and Moseyak made it up last weekend and found very little water.

I'm also on a personal quest to catch stripers from the kayak on Jordan, so I like to head for the big water. I can see them down there on my finder, just haven't found what makes them tick...

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Jeff, where you using one of them People's plugs??
Nope. Only one guy I know of that has one, and he hasn't offered to let me borrow the one-of-a-kind Dave B lil mahi special. Of course I haven't asked.... til now!:)

I fished some white, white+chart, blue+chart and shad colored deep divers. White bucktails with green trailer, and a variety of silver jigging and trolling spoons (kastmaster, hopkins). Still tilling the water several feet above most of the fish though. I may need to get some downrigger action going on the kayak to keep anything in the strike zone. But at that point, its probably cheaper and more effective to strap the kayak across the bow of Sniper's rig, sit up there in my seat and have Troy drive me around until we hook up. It'd be just like the real thing, only with more wind in my hair. and fish...

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Try a good old clarkspoon in chrome. Might need to add a trolling sinker to get it down enough.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hey Jeff, have you tried the Robeson Creek access area below the dam?
Ha ha, ya snookered me -- by "below the dam" I thought you meant downstream, not upstream on another branch...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
After I saw Jeff's response and recognized where you were talking about, I realized that "past the dam" was probably what you were thinking... from most of the ramps you'd head down to the dam and hang a right.

Wasn't much water at the base of the Haw River last week, but hopefully that'll turn around the next couple of days. It's coming down right now....

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Nope. Only one guy I know of that has one, and he hasn't offered to let me borrow the one-of-a-kind Dave B lil mahi special. Of course I haven't asked.... til now!:)
Man,, all ya have to do is "ask"!!! :)
Not like my gear is gettin any use right now..... and I would be more than happy to loan out my freshwater bag! I've got more stuff I dont use in the freshwater bag... More than welcome to try any of it out! ;)

how far down is Jordan now?? Any thing flowin in the river yet? Cape Fear looked to be up a little this weekend, but the river there off 1 looked low (Down flow from Dam)

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've still got some junk to unleash on them that I haven't tried. Troy keeps saying November/December, and based on temps this fall, the lack of flow and where all the arches are on the FF he's probably right.

One thing I haven't tried is drifting live bait. But that requires a convenient launch with readily available bait AND fish structure. Can't afford to be paddling miles up the lake to find shad...

I'm not sure how many feet Jordan is down. The long dock at New Hope still had some float to the last section, but the shorter ones didn't. Several low islands in the New Hope arm and a good looking submerged roadbed about 3 feet out of the water behind the ramp area.

I did notice that the 2 fingers of Harris that creep up to Hwy 1 looked like normal pool - I thought that was a little odd. Does Harris have a fixed spillway or has the brush grown down to the water level back there?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I did notice that the 2 fingers of Harris that creep up to Hwy 1 looked like normal pool - I thought that was a little odd. Does Harris have a fixed spillway or has the brush grown down to the water level back there?
The portion of the lake that feeds the power plant's cooling needs, from what I understand, is kept at a constant level, to the best of their ability. From what I understand, the lake receives no hot-water discharge -- I guess they take water from the lake and discharge it as steam....

·
Registered
94 Posts
All summer and early fall I have only fished on the Cape Fear putting in at the Highway 42 launch. Conditions at Falls and Jordan are too depressing for me. Two weeks ago there was ample water with a few pools 22 feet deep. Going upsteam or downstream you will experience beautiful scenery. Baitfish are plentiful and schools of bass on the attack. This is ideal location for kayak fishing and offers everything I need locally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.