NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was a big striper kill on Jordan a few years back. Any idea what the population is like now? I have been going up to Kerr for stripers, but would like to try my luck on Jordan. Even if they are all small, it would still be a good way to practice some techniques closer to home.

What areas of the lake did they use to hang during this time of the year? I heard striper fishing there in the summer was easy because they would all get stuck in a certain part of the water column, making targeting them a lot easier.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What part of the lake would they be at this time of year? I was thinking they will be around the S-turns and the lower part of the haw river arm. From what I remember a lot of the upper part of Jordan is fairly shallow, and probably too warm for them right now. I don't make it out to Jordan much at all though, so I could be wrong. Any pointers on what parts of the lake they may be at would be helpful.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Neilslure. I figured one thing I could do was look at old post from the 2011 fish kill, and see where people were reporting seeing the dead fish. I forgot that people were seeing them from Robeson Creek all the way to 64 bridge. That is a lot of area, but still probably smaller than the amount of water I will search when on Kerr looking for stripers.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand what you are saying gambushia, but I don't think keeping a few would do much harm. You must be confusing me with a skilled striper fisherman that boats more than a few in a day. If I keep every one I catch, assuming they were all legal size, if I came home with 3 it would be an awesome day.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
With a 20 inch minimum, I'm not buying that
It is absolutely a put and take fishery, yes with a 20 inch min. you could let them go(if over 20 inches) or let buzzards get them next year or the year after in another drought/heatwave. They dont reproduce there and are restocked every year. 20 lbs ~ is the max there, with the 20 lber being a rare beast. its never gonna being a Striper Hot Spot.

ok it may not be a put today and take out tomorrow fishery but they are put there to harvest. what you and we all really need to pursue is taking out of the 3 locks and Buckhorn Dam. Then you and we will see a truly amazing Striper fishery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.