NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to try to catch some crappy in Jordon Lake this Saturday. I've never fished there before. Any tips? Good spots (that you can share)? Unless I hear otherwise, I'll try some live bait. How deep should try?

Lil' Floater

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
couple spots I've had luck is up in the S turns (if you have a boat) in the river, fish the coves. Around any lake ramps with docks (i.e. Ebenezer) or bridges (dont forget the north bridge! ;)

Lefty might know the name of the creek by the Pittsboro ramp, but the deep water bank drop offs in that area produce crappie as well - fish any structure or fallen timber in the water with live minnows

Good luck! post up a report ;)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If you working without a depth finder, I like to start 2 ft off bottom and then go up 2 ft with a second rod and if possible then a third 2 ft higher. If one starts producing set all to closely match within 1 ft of each other. Crappie can be finicky about depth...and they will be deep this time of year.

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Lefty might know the name of the creek by the Pittsboro ramp, but the deep water bank drop offs in that area produce crappie as well - fish any structure or fallen timber in the water with live minnows
Dave, are you talking about Robeson Creek -- that place where Levi took me to school? (Take 64 almost to Pittsboro, make your way onto Hanks Chapel road, follow that south... just before Hanks Chapel crosses the creek, there's a boat ramp on the left, it's pretty well marked.)

The banks on that creek are pretty steep, there's some debris right near the ramp, and the bridge is within eyeball distance of the ramp in the upstream direction. You've got lots of depths, and usually lots of structure. I haven't been over there during the drought, can't testify to its current condition.

Those of you with canoes and kayaks can launch about a mile upstream the Haw from there -- another marked left turn off Hanks Chapel, before you get to the ramp turnoff. That launch is a little steep, and back in October, Moseyak and I had to drag our boats over the rocks to get to the main lake. If you try to put in right at the 64 bridge, I'm awfully certain you'll be hiking most of the way.

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
We launched from Robeson creek on Saturday and went out on the river and ducked just inside a little cove. They bit steadily from about 3 to dark and then promptly quit biting right at dark. We probably caught around 60 or so throughout the day, most of them were keepers. Biggest around 1.5lbs.

When we returned to the creek area to pull the boat out, we noticed Robeson creek was absolutely jammed to the hilt with fish. The depth finder was black. Made me think it was some sort of winter pattern for them to duck up in there after dark, not sure. But they weren't there on the way out. Makes me think it would be a nice place to fish at night this time of year if you can stand the cold. Plently accesible by bank too if you don't have a boat. Nightime bobbies would probably work good.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I think the most crappie I ever saw caught was right at the Crosswinds marina. An older gentleman had some minnows and would work them almost like flounder fishing. He would work them around the dock at the marina store and catch the heck out of them.

There is a lot of water to cover in one day at Jordan crappie fishing. You have the option of fishing the main lake or the big creeks or either 2 river systems that make Jordan. Check out the spots that have a lot of cover, have a lot of sun, maybe on the North side where the wind will stock pile the warmer water and stack the bait.

I have caught a lot of them on the main river system but cannot remember the name of the creek that was close by, I think it was Roberson creek, robinson, not sure. Anyway that creek mouth and rock walls hold a lot of crappie and some larger bass.

Tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Dave, are you talking about Robeson Creek -- that place where Levi took me to school? (Take 64 almost to Pittsboro, make your way onto Hanks Chapel road, follow that south... just before Hanks Chapel crosses the creek, there's a boat ramp on the left, it's pretty well marked.)

The banks on that creek are pretty steep, there's some debris right near the ramp, and the bridge is within eyeball distance of the ramp in the upstream direction. You've got lots of depths, and usually lots of structure. I haven't been over there during the drought, can't testify to its current condition.

Yup, that's the one Kevin.

Fish the west bank as the sun's coming up and vice versa in the afternoon.

;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.