NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a few "noodles" that Walmart had made up for jug fishing. I have never tried it and was wondering when the best time to start fishing with jugs is. I was planning on trying Badin or High Rock with fresh cut bream or shad and I have the jug lines set at 8', 12', and 16'. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I have never tried this before. Saw a guy on Badin last year fishing with jugs and it looked like fun. He had about 100 out.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Juggin is fun. Fun to chase a 10 lb carp hooked to one. You will get a bath in a kayak. We let them go of course. Sounds like you got the right idea. Noodles are the best for wrapping up and hooking the hook in it for carrying. Nothing is more buoyant than a 2 liter though. You might have some noodles dissapear if a 20 lb cat grabs it. Sometimes when we go out in the a.m. we find those "missing jugs" from somebody the night before. I use 2 liters and only a ounce sinker. I put a 50 lb braid leader on it and I can put the egg inside and put the cap on it for transport. With a bottle you just pour some flourescent paint in it and shake for the paint job. Have fun and good luck.------stu

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
You are now (or going to be July 1st) limited to 70 jugs per boat.

Just remember in NC you cannot bait w/live bait.

I have a video of jug fishing in TN and the host uses live minnows and a few small bluegill sunfish.

Man did he catch the drum and channel cats!

Good luck.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
we use to take and put the plastic chemical lights into the clear 2 liter drink bottles. That made it easy to see and chase at night. The bottles that are sitting still leave alone, that one bobbing and rocking is the one to chase. :cool:

we would do this on the Cape Fear River at Fayetteville. Spend the night on a sandbar fishing and chasing jugs all night . Great way to get a lot of guys together.

Use a bait that will stay on the hook so the bream and such won't pick it clean. I like finger mullet, menhaden, shad (Hickory/Gizzard). Catch some bream and fillet them out and use them for bait. cats love some nice fresh bream.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
It is fun! Just please make good use of what you catch or release it and don't try to keep up with too many jugs at once. Any jug you lose is likely to be a senseless death of the fish that is on it, or a tangle of line to kill something else not to mention pollution.. BUT HAVE FUN!!!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Sundrop is right on all points there. That means if you catch a turtle you have to eat it. :) I had a cooter the size of a lg pizza by the tail couple years back and let him go. And yes I WAS scared. But the next one is goin down. I am gonna eat me some turtle one day. Power bait works good for carp and catfish. Don`t be surprised if you catch some gar too. That I am NOT gonna eat.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Gar are hard to clean but are suppose to be a delicious white meat fish. I keep threatening to try one but havent done it yet!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
If Sundrop eats one He`s gonna say it tastes like lobster so you guys will try it even if (or especially) it tastes like the south end of a north bound mule. Gar stink! alive. I`ll try the turtle first.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Here is what I found on cleaning Gar......

How to clean a Gar

*Simply put the gar on its back. Cut the gar from the bottom of its throat where the gills end to the tail.
*Then shove your hand between the meat and scales...separating the meat from the scales/skin.
*Next grab the skin with scales still intact and pull the skin/scales off like one would do cleaning a rabbit.
*Then pull the meat from the ribs by pulling on the meat with one hand and running your hand down the ribs towards the spine with the other.
*The last step run the knife down the gar's spine and retrieved a long, thick, boneless fillet.
*It is all clean white boneless meat.

Stu-I've had sea turtle and it was nasty to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Reminds me of being a kid at Sunset beach. I found a sea turtle looking for shells one morning and told everybody at the house. Somebody told the people next door. They were from Ohio. (who we knew from being there same week every year) They went and got it and made stew. I passed on it. You wanna know the recipe for gar? here it is . Nail it to a pine 2x4 thru the head. Cut around the throat and skin it like a snake. Salt , pepper and oil generously. Let sit for several hours then pry it off and eat the board. Sure most of you have heard that one. Sorry, couldn`t resist. Works for carp too. Maybe even turtle, but I AM gonna try it.------------stu

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Heard one man say he cut it open on the back and then used tin snips to cut it all the way from head to tail and then cut and pull just the back straps out. Said he would cut it in nugget size and fry it, I didn't get a chance to try but sounded OK>

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
450 Posts
Drop, you should see the size of the turtles behind the parks in North Greenville. Then ones off of Legion St.

On the subject about the Jugs.. best to use 2Liter bottles.. also i like to combine the ideas of jugs and trotline.. less dangerous.. but you dont end up losing a jug.. (because its always connected to your others) It worked well for me. Caught some monster cats that way.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Heard one man say he cut it open on the back and then used tin snips to cut it all the way from head to tail and then cut and pull just the back straps out. Said he would cut it in nugget size and fry it, I didn't get a chance to try but sounded OK
Andy, (ncbowfish) told me the exact same thing . Gonna get him to give me one someday to try.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.