NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The normal routine is to sign in at the store before they close on Friday. If you're logistically not able to make it (for example, if you're driving in from out of town Saturday morning) you can call them at the store and make alternate arrangements to meet the "captains meeting" requirement. They'll brief you when you call about whatever location and time rules are in place for this particular event.

"Weigh-in" is usually at the store at 3:00pm on Saturday. The format is catch-photo-release, so bring your camera and a measuring tape, and allow time to land, load, and drive back to the store. In the past there have been enough door prizes that very few folks go home completely empty-handed -- I like that about this event.

For some reason I was thinking this month's event was going to be at River Road Park... I'm trying to remember when I called, I think it was about ten days ago... You might have more recent (or more accurate) information than I do.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
For some reason I was thinking this month's event was going to be at River Road Park... I'm trying to remember when I called, I think it was about ten days ago... You might have more recent (or more accurate) information than I do.
Do we have confirmation that the tourney is @ Fort Fisher?

Definitely thinking about going.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Just called the store -- it's at River Road Park this month. That's still within the Wimington limits proper, as I understand, so it ought to be a somewhat shorter drive than Ft. Fisher. (That leg from Wilmington to the Fort always seems like about the longest part...)

Reactions: moseyak

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I think the general recommendation is to stay on the side of the islands where the tankers don't go.

Reactions: moseyak

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, anybody headed that way from the Raleigh/Apex area, I have never been to that location... a little bummed, I was all jazzed for Ft. Fisher, after last months trip....:( Either way, I look forward to meeting/talking with all you guys again.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I've got company in town, can't make it this month.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
... a little bummed, I was all jazzed for Ft. Fisher...
Ditto. I was much more enthusiastic about Ft Fisher. Not convinced I'm going to go, even if I'm free. Don't know what to expect from River Rd park - I guess salt or mostly salty brackish?. Looks like pretty big water there on google maps. I've heard of folks catching stripers up in wilmington around the bridges, but this doesn't look anywhere near that. Need to hear more about the fishing in that immediate vicinity.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Well this dummy talked to the wife and was reminded that Saturday is the kids' Bday party, so I won't be going. Sorry Brian- looks like everybody' s abandoning you. But I would like to give that area a try sometime. Especially knowing that if we weren't finding anything, we could just go 10 miles down the road to Ft. Fisher.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:) the kid's B-Day party is more important man. Yes, my thoughts exactly. I am going fishing for sure, just debating the tournament now. I have been working on this date with the wife for about a month...to ensure it was free...I'm getting a little better at that...LOL

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
:) the kid's B-Day party is more important man. Yes, my thoughts exactly. I am going fishing for sure, just debating the tournament now. I have been working on this date with the wife for about a month...to ensure it was free...I'm getting a little better at that...LOL
Very good idea!

And if you really want to fish the Fisher, go for it! Not anything wrong with that, especially since you can expect less kayak traffic:cool:.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Chuck
I'd expect most of the spectating action to take place right when the park opens, and then when folks land again -- probably between 2 and 2:30. I don't know that area, but folks generally don't cycle back and forth to the launch -- they launch, they go where they hope the fish are, they fish, they come back.

This is a catch-photo-release tourney, and so far, the photos pretty much are used for cases in which the Honor System breaks down. So there's no elaborate weigh-in like at the big bass tourneys.

The other place you might want to check out is back at the store at 3:00. You can hear all the stories about what went on that day. That's where the results are tallied and prizes awarded.

Also -- welcome aboard NCAngler!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.